Lay down threading tool questions...

I agree that there is diminishing returns on use of larger then 5/8" holder for most 12-13" swing lathes, my lathe is quite rigid at around 2500 lbs and would be better off with CXA QCTP, but I am using BXA which I had from my 1340GT. I have small extended point live centers so clearance for small stock is less of an issue. You can get lots of cheap/counterfeit inserts and they will work well, what I will disagree with is durability and to some degree cost effective. I have been using the same laydown Carmex insert for hundreds of threads in all types of materials and I am only on the 2nd cutting tip because I chipped the first cutting edge when I dropped it, not from wearing it out. So a single $18 insert lasted me years, I get very clean cuts in aluminum, SS and steel with both continuous and interrupted threading. I had previously bought some Cobra threading inserts a while back for an upright threaded, I was lucky if I go a single thread out of them before they broke. If you are paying good money for an insert holder, why penny pinch on a few inserts. Buy two Carmex inserts with your holder and see how they work. I have both IR and ER styles, but when I had to cut left hand threads I just used my RH insert. It depends on the pitch and the anvil.

A few of my live centers, there are more in the cabinet. The Rohm works very well for small stock where I need more clearance for the cutter head.
Live Centers.jpg

I agree that there is diminishing returns on use of larger then 5/8" holder for most 12-13" swing lathes

That's why I wanted to upgrade from the 1/2 inch version that PM sells for my 1440. Got a 5/8th on the way.

What's the Center in the center of the photo? Looks complicated

Swiss Made Fischer SFJ Powerhold Live Center MT3 center Spring-loaded, GPRTOPS Live Centers and sold by Riten. Was the first center I picked up on eBay maybe 15 years ago (when companies were liquidating stock at very low prices), it has a short high tension load mechanism which allows you to apply different rates of pressure on the work piece and also will compensate for thermal changes. I use it, but more infrequently then my CNC/extended point types. I also use a Skoda with interchangeable tips for odd turning projects, as well as a larger bull nose. Use them infrequently but handy to have when you need them.
Swiss Made Fischer SFJ Powerhold Live Center MT3 center Spring-loaded, GPRTOPS Live Centers an...jpg

Back