Layout Fluid vs Sharpie: Which is preferable?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I scribe everything and cut to the line. Old school operations, as I exclusively use handwheels.
Yes, I'm a luddite...

I interchange layout fluid and sharpie. Has depended on if the surface is horizontal or vertical.
Am getting really low on layout fluid and am thinking of moving to sharpie only.
Am curious about your thoughts on the topic.

Note: I value the thoughts of veteran machinists (both handwheel and DRO users) as well as those new to machining.
What are your thoughts and experiences.?

Daryl
MN

Layout fluid always if I’m laying out a piece of flat stock. It’s nice to not have to push hard when scribing with calipers. Sharpie almost always for lathe work. Works probably better than layout fluid on the lathe for simple things like marking a spot or I even use it for touching off to zero my dro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a veteran machinist.
But I find that sharpie gets removed more easily than layout dye. I use both, and prefer layout die on more complex projects. Quick measurements and no complexity, I'll do sharpie.
Just my opinion.

I prefer a sharpie. But if it’s a big flat surface I might go for layout fluid. I don’t do a lot of layout though. Also my layout fluid was free from a dumpster. If I’d had to buy it, I don’t know that I’d have any.

I scribe everything and cut to the line. Old school operations, as I exclusively use handwheels.
Yes, I'm a luddite...

I interchange layout fluid and sharpie. Has depended on if the surface is horizontal or vertical.
Am getting really low on layout fluid and am thinking of moving to sharpie only.
Am curious about your thoughts on the topic.

Note: I value the thoughts of veteran machinists (both handwheel and DRO users) as well as those new to machining.
What are your thoughts and experiences.?

Daryl
MN
I use both Layout Fluid for very close work
Sharpie for fab , building work and sawing.

Dave

I use both, sharpie generally. Layout if doing a large surface.

I learned a trick with a sharpie couple weeks ago. Use an air nozzle to spray the ink onto the surface. If you have an irregular surface to coat, you can spot spray the ink. And dries almost instantly.
IMG_9505.jpg
IMG_9506.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a veteran machinist.
But I find that sharpie gets removed more easily than layout dye. I use both, and prefer layout die on more complex projects. Quick measurements and no complexity, I'll do sharpie.
Just my opinion.
Agree: if the stock is going to see a lot of handling I use layout fluid, but if just a guideline for a rough saw cut or to be able to see when a cutter makes contact Sharpie is fine. Fir Sharpie, I prefer the “fat” markers.

I tried the Sharpie thing once to see what it was all about but was disappointed with the result. Was never tempted to try it again, it’s layout fluid for layout in my shop. Full stop.

I find that I will ruin a sharpie if there is any oil on the part but Dykem will paint right over a small amount of oil. I might use a sharpie in a pinch but Dykem is my goto when I feel the need to add layout lines.

Back