Layout Fluid vs Sharpie: Which is preferable?

I have both Sharpies and Dykem, red and blue for the layout fluid, red, blue, green and black for Sharpies, all colors in fine line and fat tips. I see I am using the Sharpies more and more...it goes on more precisely than the brushes, dries basically instantly, does not run or get all over my hands like layout fluid, and is thinner, which can be beneficial. The multiple colors can be way more useful applied with Sharpies and can reference different kinds of cuts.

If I were product manager for Dykem, I would be all over the development team for new product features. The clock is ticking.

I have both Sharpies and Dykem, red and blue for the layout fluid, red, blue, green and black for Sharpies, all colors in fine line and fat tips. I see I am using the Sharpies more and more...it goes on more precisely than the brushes, dries basically instantly, does not run or get all over my hands like layout fluid, and is thinner, which can be beneficial. The multiple colors can be way more useful applied with Sharpies and can reference different kinds of cuts.

If I were product manager for Dykem, I would be all over the development team for new product features. The clock is ticking.
I discovered the other day that Dykem do loads more marking products than I realised (I only knew about the layout fluid): https://waltersandwalters.co.uk/brands/dykem-industrial-markers

not a veteran machinist.
But I find that sharpie gets removed more easily than layout dye. I use both, and prefer layout die on more complex projects. Quick measurements and no complexity, I'll do sharpie.
Just my opinion.

I am new to dykem but already I have been very impressed with how well it stays on a part your making.

Stu

Both, depends on my mood usually.
For me it varies by the project and how far I need to reach to get one or the other.

A sharpie line is roughly 1/10th the thickness of dykem, so that gets factored in sometimes depending on what I’m doing.

For me it varies by the project and how far I need to reach to get one or the other.

A sharpie line is roughly 1/10th the thickness of dykem, so that gets factored in sometimes depending on what I’m doing.
Really 1/10th. I would think that the scribe was the difference.

I split the difference and use Milwaulkee pens. They put down more of a darker ink than the Sharpie that seems to hold better. I don't think it is as good as Dykem, but is more convenient and cleaner.

I find that using a felt pen makes for more precise scribe lines than layout dye, which sometimes tends to flake off when scribing, for large areas of layout, layout dye is clearly the best choice, I find that layout dye tends to take on water, which degrades it and makes it take longer to dry, I use Dykem blue, but prefer Starrett layout dye as it is not so strong smelling as Dykem.

Darn sharpies are like tape measures.
Ya can never find the darn things when you need one and chances are (in my shop anyway) it will be all or mostly dried up when/if you do find one! I buy way to many of them!
And, I am still using the first bottle of Dykem I bought back when I got into this hobby.
A little shot of carb cleaner on a rag and it will wipe right off when needed.

Back