Lead screw or thread dial not right?

same each time, New machine - had a faceplant, but all parts needing replacement have been replaced. Half Nut clamp is good, dial gear is good, new lead screw same TPI (measured)
Did you check lead screw end play?

So, it's been awhile and I've been practicing away. I've started threading away from the headstock with a nice tool from Mesa Tool, and I've noticed that I'm able to cut even threads at any spot on the thread dial in reverse.... Not forward, only reverse.....

So, it's been awhile and I've been practicing away. I've started threading away from the headstock with a nice tool from Mesa Tool, and I've noticed that I'm able to cut even threads at any spot on the thread dial in reverse.... Not forward, only reverse.....
that only works with some thread pitches. I don't think you will hit it correctly on a 1/2-13...
or any of the non whole number threads. 4.5 5.5 5.75 6.5 11.5
I don't remember what the rule is, I always look them up for non-even /non-whole threads.
I have a cheat sheet somewhere.

Right. I know I was supposed to be able to use any where on the dial for a 16,24 or 28 pitch thread. I couldn’t in forward because it was cutting 1/4 threads. In reverse, threading away from the headstock, it’s perfect.

Right. I know I was supposed to be able to use any where on the dial for a 16,24 or 28 pitch thread. I couldn’t in forward because it was cutting 1/4 threads. In reverse, threading away from the headstock, it’s perfect.
that's wierd, it should not matter forward or back. As far as I can figure they are the same... So how could that be?

I was kind of hoping one of you much more intelligent and experienced people would be able to tell me that

Back