Learning to TIG

If I were to learn TIG over again, I would limit myself to (no pulse) welding on mild steel that is between 1/16” and 1/4” thick. I would also take a break from other welding processes until I had a good handle on the above.

I made the mistake of jumping into pulse, thin tubing, (AC) aluminum, stainless and titanium before I mastered TIG on carbon steel.

I also made the mistake of switching between TIG, stick, MIG and gas welding.

All that said, I’m sure you’ll end up like me and get swept away by your curiosity about AC, pulse, thin stuff, stainless and titanium.

Watch out for the cheapo import gas lenses. If you pay for (quality) CK Worldwide gas lenses, you will experience much less frustration.

I also have a continuing issue with finding the balance between a quality weld and a weld bead that looks good. An experienced TIG welder can achieve both, but you might consider making sure that you achieve near 100% penetration and HAZ management (putting as little heat as necessary into the HAZ) before you worry too much about stacking dimes.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying about bouncing around but I think there is some value to working with aluminum, as it demands that you develop heat-control and filler-feeding skills.

I have such a hard time on aluminum! No matter how much I clean the base material, I still get pepper in the puddle.

TIG welding aluminum is a humbling experience!

Last edited:
I bought a tungsten sharpener, and I usually use a TIG pen for feeding the rod:
0216EA0C-3F76-4F8C-9139-089DA67474D1.png

Last edited:
I also find TIG on thin material to be a humbling experience. That is a good time to consider trying pulse.

Two final points for now:

(1) stringer beads have their place, but I learn more when I am welding a joint.

(2) time spent in the hood is the key. Watching YouTube videos is educational, but the arc time is what will get you to where you want to be.

TIG is awesome. Once you start, you never know what you'll end up with :)

DSC_9177-1-1580x480.jpg

watching Jody Tig weld on Welding Tips and Tricks is like watching Tiger Woods play golf.
They make it look easy! It is not!
David, you will get really good at grinding tungsten by the time you get acquainted with the process.
One thing I really like about Tig welding over oxy/acc, Mig or Arc is it can be so versatile.
Cheers mate.

Back