Leveling an Atlas 10F lathe

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I parted out my old Atlas 10F and got another one. The second one had a bunch of accessories and the QCGB. For once, I'm on the plus side of the ledger with my hobby in more ways than one.

It also came with a bench. Two layers of 3/4" plywood with a stainless skin on top on 4x4 legs and heavy framing. Good bench whoever built it. First project I made with the lathe was some small brass knobs for some "Dandy Drawer" style drawers I made out of maple. The tapers on the knobs were off on the first couple, so I thought maybe there was some twist to the lathe.

1) I used 5/16" studs about 4" long,
2) Tightened the studs to the bench, sandwiching the benchtop between two washers and two nuts,
3) Sandwiched the mounting feet between two more washers and nuts,

Now the lathe is about 3/4" off the bench.

4) I leveled across the ways first, nearest the headstock. I used a six inch Stanley precision bubble plane and got it close.
5) I leveled across the ways second, nearest the tailstock. Same level same procedure.
6) Leveled longitudinally, 8" Starrett precision level. (Mostly, the tailstock had to come up)

OK, now I'm ready for the "two collar" test. Although I didn't rough out collars.

7) Chucked up a 1" bar in the 4 jaw and indicated it in to about +/- .001". I didn't cut the collars, just took a 6" long cut in mild steel.

First cut, I was about .010" large on the diameter, nearest the tailstock. Definitely some sort of twist, or so it seemed.

8) I gently adjusted the makeshift, operator-side, tailstock-end leveling foot, gently tightened. Checked all my bubbles again, could see a slight shift in the one near the tailstock, but still between the lines.

Second cut revealed a difference of .001" diameter between the collars. I figured I'd quit while I'm ahead.

Question, is there more to squeeze out of this or do I call it?

0.001" in 6" on an Atlas is like NASA quality- you're fine
:cupcake:

You know the drill, pictures please....

Lol. It’s over! Nothing to see here!

I’ll snap a couple of “after” pics just for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0.001" in 6" on an Atlas is like NASA quality- you're fine
:cupcake:
I'm sure there is some measurement error on my behalf, but I was able to repeat my measurements, so if I'm wrong, I'm consistently wrong.

My Atlas is like 5 times worse and I make lots of good parts on it

The "new" lathe:

It's in pretty good shape. Missing a little handle and corner of the casting on the upper gear guard. That's the only "broken" part on it from what I can tell. The half nuts probably should be replaced but do work on power feed and under load. Lucky for me I have a new pair in the shop. Other than that the machine runs very well.

IMG-2859.JPG

And my makeshift leveling feet:
sIMG-2864.JPG

Picture above is under the head stock. Next picture is under the tailstock.

IMG-2865.JPG

You can get a sense of how uneven the tabletop is and in combination with whatever twist was in the bed, how much adjustment was needed from front to back. 18tpi so about two and half turns or about an 1/8" of difference in height from front to back to get the bed "level".

The "new" lathe:

It's in pretty good shape. Missing a little handle and corner of the casting on the upper gear guard. That's the only "broken" part on it from what I can tell. The half nuts probably should be replaced but do work on power feed and under load. Lucky for me I have a new pair in the shop. Other than that the machine runs very well.

View attachment 419901

And my makeshift leveling feet:
sView attachment 419902

Picture above is under the head stock. Next picture is under the tailstock.

View attachment 419903

You can get a sense of how uneven the tabletop is and in combination with whatever twist was in the bed, how much adjustment was needed from front to back. 18tpi so about two and half turns or about an 1/8" of difference in height from front to back to get the bed "level".
Thanks for the photos, I'm getting ready to do a new table for my lathe and this helps me figure out what I need to do.

John

Thanks for the photos, I'm getting ready to do a new table for my lathe and this helps me figure out what I need to do.

John
It is 4x4 legs, 2x6 on the upper sides, inner ends, with a span or two in the middle. The top is decked with two layers of 3/4 ply and then the stainless top.

The bottom is all 2x4. Carriage bolts are used to join the major corners and joints together. It is well built.

I have often thought of doing this on my craftsman 12x36. Worry about the bolts not being up to the task. Also worry about the alignment of the brackets that hold the motor and the pulleys. They are separate from the lathe bed and mount on the bench top. On my current set up the bench top leans to the front and towards the tailstock. But there doesn't seem to be any twist. With dead centers in both the headstock and the tailstock the points are dead on. With levels on the bed I get the same readings at the tailstock and the headstock. I have not had to turn anything of any length so far. I should probably check this out before my next project.

A friend has asked me to make a pintle for his rudder. The pintle is 7/8 bronze with a 3/4x10 tpi thread on one end. Don't know how long it is. Probably around 4." He is buying the material. I am only doing the machining.

Back