Life changes ......

I am going to make a radical suggestion.

What about using the school to train other machinists, using your advice and experience?
They come to your shop and learn under your guidance- kind of like the scraping lessons Rich gives. In exchange, they pay you some money for the lessons, and that keeps the shop running and pays for the upkeep?It keeps you active and in the shop.

good idea but i wouldn't have a bunch of nitwits loose in my shop these days. WAY too much liability. 50 years ago - maybe.
now in someone else's environment, yes.

The idea is a good one, but the practicality is bad. There is a huge liability issue which would require the purchase of expensive liability insurance. The public schools would not go along as I would have to be considered an accredited learning institution to be able to teach school kids especially for credit consideration. The shop is barely large enough to hold me and one other person. The zoning would prohibit a business in the community. This is only the tip of the iceberg of legal mumbo jumbo required to do something like that and I have enough on my plate without trying something like that. But it was a good idea, just not too practical.

Worse case scenario that I see, is to find a new home for the shop equipment. If I cannot use it again, I am afraid things may deteriorate sitting in the little building that I can't even get into anymore, but I don't know what to do right now. The next several months, I will be adapting to my limitations and trying to get normal life requirements able to manage. I never imagined I would face this situation this soon in my life, but it is here and I must adapt now.

I am going to make a radical suggestion.

What about using the school to train other machinists, using your advice and experience?
They come to your shop and learn under your guidance- kind of like the scraping lessons Rich gives. In exchange, they pay you some money for the lessons, and that keeps the shop running and pays for the upkeep?It keeps you active and in the shop.
That’s an idea but I have a monkey wrench to toss. What if somebody hurts themselves in the shop on Marks machine while Mark is instructing? Sounds like insurance is in order. Now the money is going out of pocket instead into the pocket. And Mark, I have hopeful thoughts of you every day…Dave

It looks like you already thought this Idea through Mark. Whith modern medicine these days, who knows what they can come up with in the near future to help you Mark. It would be sad too see all your hard work and machines go the rust gremlins. I sincerely hope you can sort out all your problems.

It looks like you already thought this Idea through Mark. Whith modern medicine these days, who knows what they can come up with in the near future to help you Mark. It would be sad too see all your hard work and machines go the rust gremlins. I sincerely hope you can sort out all your problems.

Modern medicine may be great, but I am told my problems can't be fixed (or at least enough to make an attempt worth while). This is not a new problem. It has been coming for 20 years. I just didn't expect it to hit so hard at once. I have been preparing for this for several years. I just have to adapt and accept some limitations.

Hi Mark
Good luck to you, it is hard to come to terms with life some times, i have a new look on life after my Heart attack.
Some times good & some times not, but as they say life go's on, but not the same as before.
All the best, & make the best out of life, & do not accept all the limitations.
jeff g

Still hoping for the best Mark , I'm no better either but I'm still trying and hoping even for me . I just hope I can be as strong as you with all your going thru. But I should have died in 09 so who knows I may beat this pain with enough nerves blocked or cut how ill end up. I'm praying your tremors just stop forever . Thank you for sharing so many builds I am awestruck with many so beautifully done.

Was just a thought. Perhaps a museum can use the equipment.

Back