Life changes ......

must be stuff like my grandpappy had then
I don't think machines are that old or rare , but what he has is machines he's worked on and upgraded to produce beautiful work. Look at his builds on here you'll be amazed at the quality even his paint jobs look like the finish on starrett and B & S tooling. If he's like me he'd rather have them used and enjoyed by a machinist . I wouldn't say give it to a newbie , they need to start with a machine to start out with so it's not beat up. Like a used atlas . But there Marks he has to do as he pleases. I've no money and owe hospitals so even tho I'd love his lathe I couldn't even offer.

Was thinking last night (dangerous time for that) and was wondering if You had the ways or means to set up a small card table somewhere out of the way in Your house to put a small lathe on? Might be a way to keep on keepin on.

I talked it over with some close friends and they (and I) think it would be best to move the shop to a new home in it's entirety, everything at once. I don't know if that is possible or not, but it would be the best solution. I would like to move to Florida in the not too distant future and would not take the shop with me. I am at a point health wise that I am not as dependent on the doctors here as I was. I can get new ones for my needs and I would like to get away from the winters and I can always find things to do and keep busy. I think about that a lot.

Hello Mark,
do not make any quick decisions, let things settle down for a while till you see in a few weeks how things go, I guess with severe illness which you have had, or old age, there comes a day when large machines become a liability or dangerous, I am trying to distance myself from my heavy machines, I guess old age and God are both speaking to me, I still get pleasure from my very small machines, could you not possibly "downsize" to small table top machines , say a little Sherline lathe & mill , spend even just ten minutes a day on your beloved life's craftsmanship.I will be praying & thinking of you Mark.

Hello Mark,
do not make any quick decisions, let things settle down for a while till you see in a few weeks how things go, I guess with severe illness which you have had, or old age, there comes a day when large machines become a liability or dangerous, I am trying to distance myself from my heavy machines, I guess old age and God are both speaking to me, I still get pleasure from my very small machines, could you not possibly "downsize" to small table top machines , say a little Sherline lathe & mill , spend even just ten minutes a day on your beloved life's craftsmanship.I will be praying & thinking of you Mark.

That is a good idea. If I can sell my machines, I can buy a mini lathe and a mini mill with the money and still make some projects. I can set a mini mill and lathe on a table built to fit the wheelchair and put it in a spare room. If i move , I would be able to take the small machines with me. I guess I will have to sell mine first and then buy smaller.

Went to the emergency room tonight. It looks like I may be losing the right foot. The small arteries are clogged and cannot be repaired. There is not enough blood flow. They are going to decide what to do in the next several days unless it gets worse...... Then we decide sooner. I want to go to Cleveland clinic for another opinion time permitting. It would seem with today's technology, there is something that can be done to keep it.

Thank you Silver,
I knew this was a possibility 10 years ago. I hope to only lose the front half, .... if it has to go at all. I will not make a snap decision. I want to explore all possibilities.

Before everyone goes crazy........ Yes I put the entire machine shop on Craigslist. I will see what kind of response I get and if i do get an offer for what i ask...... I will buy a mini lathe and mini mill for the spare room in the house so I can machine on a smaller scale from my wheelchair. .....after i get a few health problems under control. I plan on being around for a long time yet. This is knowing my limitations and pushing them to the max for my quality of life.

Back