Little john

excellent. So you have two 30 tooth wheels, two 60 tooth wheels and a pair of 45 wheels for the a and b shafts? I had to make most of those

have you checked that you can remove the wheels on the back of the b and c shafts? I guess that you will be able to. I couldn't on mine so i remachined the shafts

it does sound like you only need a 44 tooth wheel

richard

hi richard
i must have not made myself clear, the lathe came with only the gears fitted in the gearbox no change gears at all, i managed to obtain the 52 off the internet, i have had to have two gears made because when it was in service at my works some moron allowed a cleaning rag to get into the saddle gears!! This caused the feed-screw shaft to lock and shatter two of the lathes gears, one which drives the d spindle gear, the other was the gear which is connected via the screw cutting shaft, so before i do anything else to the beast i will wait until these gears come back to me from a chap in the midlands, next week i hope.
P.s. Just fitted a quick change tool-post, much better!!.

Colin.

hi richard
i must have not made myself clear, the lathe came with only the gears fitted in the gearbox no change gears at all, i managed to obtain the 52 off the internet, i have had to have two gears made because when it was in service at my works some moron allowed a cleaning rag to get into the saddle gears!! This caused the feed-screw shaft to lock and shatter two of the lathes gears, one which drives the d spindle gear, the other was the gear which is connected via the screw cutting shaft, so before i do anything else to the beast i will wait until these gears come back to me from a chap in the midlands, next week i hope.
P.s. Just fitted a quick change tool-post, much better!!.

Colin.

There appears to be some confusion with my gearbox chart because when i fit the 52t gear on the rear of B it inter-fears with the 30t of the reverse assembly. C has got a 63t fitted so I think that maybe your chart is the correct one, how the hell my chart got onto my gearbox is strange. so it would appear that i need the 68t gear. for some reason there is a 63t gear on D this is how the lathe came to me!!!!! HELP.

Perhaps it has the end cover from a newer lathe. Fun these Raglans, aren't they! As I said, I was surprised to find the set of wheels I had didn't fit

Do you think you could post some photographs of what you have?

Richard

MORE: Oh, another thought. On both the lathes I have, the carrier for the tumbler reverse has broken and been repaired, one with a bolted strap, the other with a fabricated steel carrier. Is it possible that this has happened to yours and the 30T wheel is now in the wrong place?

In this view, it looks like you do have the correct hub for the interchangeable wheels - the one on the back is a changewheel, not part of the hub

I guess that it is the wheel on the end of the feed shaft that got broken? I notice it is missing, as is the covering casting:

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
in this view, it looks like you do have the correct hub for the interchangeable wheels - the one on the back is a changewheel, not part of the hub

i guess that it is the wheel on the end of the feed shaft that got broken? I notice it is missing, as is the covering castin

richard

hi richard
i am mystified as to why the gear at the rear of stud a is inter-feared with when the change-gear at the rear of stud b is changed (44 to 52) this then means that all four gears on a & b are meshed, this cannot work, something nasty will happen, does the gear at the rear of stud a need to be changed to stop it meshing, but this gear is part of the connecting shaft between the front 28t gear and the rear 30t gear.
Yes the gear that is missing from the lead-screw was one of the ones that was damaged, as was the outer gear on stud c, the casting was removed to get the gear out, it is in a safe place with it's bolt.

As to myself, i am a retired electronics service engineer, the raglan came from the place where i worked and was in a damaged state when i moved it to my home. As no one had used the machine for about 15 years i got it for nothing. As richard has said they are curious and fun!!!!

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
If I get a bit of time tomorrow, I'll try that combination on one of mine to see what happens

Richard

if i get a bit of time tomorrow, i'll try that combination on one of mine to see what happens

richard

silly question as i know nothing about gears etc. Is it possible that the 52t gear i have is to large, to my mind a gear with a certain number of teeth has to be a certain set diameter or am i wrong!! Again.

Colin.

No, you are right. If you think about it, each tooth takes up the same distance around the circumference of the wheel. So, as all the wheels have the same size teeth (because they all mesh together), a 52 tooth wheel will be in proportion to all the others

Richard

Back