Little john

no, you are right. If you think about it, each tooth takes up the same distance around the circumference of the wheel. So, as all the wheels have the same size teeth (because they all mesh together), a 52 tooth wheel will be in proportion to all the others

richard

thanks for that confirmation that i am only a small scale idiot, i will be very interested in the results of your comparison test if you can do it tomorrow, thanks.
Colin.

You are right!

on the 2 5/8" centres, the 52 tooth wheel clashes with the tumbler reverse gear:

IMG_1084.jpg

On the 2 13/16" centres, it clears:

IMG_1086.jpg

Richard

MORE: I haven't tried this but...

The two changewheel carriers are different lengths, on mine the one on shaft C is shorter than the one on shaft B. I wonder if they can be swapped over and/or turned around to get the 52 or 56 tooth wheel to clear

you are right!

On the 2 5/8" centres, the 52 tooth wheel clashes with the tumbler reverse gear:

on the 2 13/16" centres, it clears:

richard

more: I haven't tried this but...

The two changewheel carriers are different lengths, on mine the one on shaft c is shorter than the one on shaft b. I wonder if they can be swapped over and/or turned around to get the 52 or 56 tooth wheel to clear

hi
i can not try that on mine yet because the carrier for c is away with the chap who is making replacements for the broken gears, if it does not work would it be possible to machine 3/8 from the centres of each carrier and put a spacer behind each of the rear gears to stop the clashing and to realign the 52t with the 44t so that all the gears are still mated correctly together but with clearance for the 52t and the 30t above it.

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be the man to find out!

Remember, I modified my lathe to have 2 13/16" centres to get it to work. What we really need is another LittleJohn owner or two

Richard

you are right!

On the 2 5/8" centres, the 52 tooth wheel clashes with the tumbler reverse gear:

on the 2 13/16" centres, it clears:

richard

more: I haven't tried this but...

The two changewheel carriers are different lengths, on mine the one on shaft c is shorter than the one on shaft b. I wonder if they can be swapped over and/or turned around to get the 52 or 56 tooth wheel to clear

ref previous post. Not to take out centre of carrier but shorten from the rear if possible then fit spacer to the back gear to align them again. Will this be a problem with the retaining screws of the metric change wheels.
Wish i had not started this thought.

Colin.

Last edited by a moderator:
ref previous post. Not to take out centre of carrier but shorten from the rear if possible then fit spacer to the back gear to align them again. Will this be a problem with the retaining screws of the metric change wheels.
Wish i had not started this thought.

Colin.

hi
how did you alter the centres on your gearbox, i ask because i was wondering if the later lathes had a better set of ratios because you can fit change wheels which can be accommodated by the bigger clearance. If you do the maths on the old ratio labels it results in pitches which are only approximate, whereas do the maths with one of the later labels it works out perfectly.

Colin.

EXTRA. SOMETHING APPEARS TO HAVE HAPPENED TO MY COMPUTER BECAUSE YOUR PRIMROSE POSTS ARE NOT WORKING, THEY DID UNTIL THIS MORNING, STRANGE!!!
I HOPE EVERYTHING ELSE IS STILL WORKING ON THIS SITE.

COLIN.

hi
how did you alter the centres on your gearbox, i ask because i was wondering if the later lathes had a better set of ratios because you can fit change wheels which can be accommodated by the bigger clearance. If you do the maths on the old ratio labels it results in pitches which are only approximate, whereas do the maths with one of the later labels it works out perfectly.

Colin.

EXTRA. SOMETHING APPEARS TO HAVE HAPPENED TO MY COMPUTER BECAUSE YOUR PRIMROSE POSTS ARE NOT WORKING, THEY DID UNTIL THIS MORNING, STRANGE!!!
I HOPE EVERYTHING ELSE IS STILL WORKING ON THIS SITE.

COLIN.

Back