Llambrich Ball Bearing Chuck

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought one of these for a good price on Amazon. It's a keyed chuck CBB 1/32'-5/8" capacity.
I'm very surprised at how rough this thing feels. Not silky smooth as I was expecting from a quality company. You can feel the bearings bind at certain points and you can make it much worse if you push axially on the hood when turning. The hood moves slightly like it's a little loose fitting. There is brown oily stuff all over the jaws and under the hood. I've never had a new keyed chuck, maybe this is normal? Sometimes I wonder if sellers on Amazon are selling factory seconds.
Anyone have this chuck?

I could see an Albrecht but not a Llambrich. I could be wrong though.

I don't own that one but I had a 1/2" Llambrich keyed chuck that I gave to a friend. It was smooth and locked solidly.

Llambrich makes good chucks. I would contact the company and ask them to have a look because what you're describing is not acceptable for a new chuck. I know a guy who had an issue with an Albrecht chuck and sent it back to them for evaluation; they sent him a brand new chuck in perfect working order. I would expect that sort of thing from a top tier company but I'm not sure that includes Llambrich.

Another option is to send it back to Amazon and have them replace it. Might just be cheaper to do this.

Maybe a knock off?
More likely a 40 year tool with 40 years of use.
I do realize that hobbyists are looking for the LEAST EXPENSIVE TOOL POSSIBLE at all times, sometimes you just have to "shudder" buy the tools required for the work, this method is antithema to many of course.

More likely a 40 year tool with 40 years of use.
I do realize that hobbyists are looking for the LEAST EXPENSIVE TOOL POSSIBLE at all times, sometimes you just have to "shudder" buy the tools required for the work, this method is antithema to many of course.

Ahem, the tool in question is brand new off Amazon.

When I was searching for a JT3 chuck a couple of weeks ago I found a few vendors who were selling LLambrich chucks but their prices were all over the place, I almost bought one from Amazon for around $105 but the highest price of the same model was like $275, I'm not sure if the more expensive one was also made in Spain.
If you return it to Amazon , chances are you'll get another one with the same problem, did you try to spray some super lube and see if it gets any better? that's what I would do. the quality of this chuck can not be that bad , your other option is get your money back and buy a used Jacobs super chuck.

and yes, seconds and rejects make it onto Amazon & eBay all the time. Everything from tooling to electronics.

Ken. It is a ball bearing. Didn't you buy one of these? I'm certain it is made in Spain.
I keep looking for an 18N but can not find one for a decent price. So I decided to sell my rebuild kit and buy a new chuck. I sold all my chucks except the No.36. No interest in that one although it is perfect.
I don't know who I'm buying from because it says Amazon.com.
I also bought a new Llambrich Hexa with a 5/8" capacity. I sold off all my Albrechts and my Rohm to buy it. I wanted a larger capacity chuck and also an integrated arbor. It was advertised to no more than .00012" run-out. I checked it at over .004" I think it was. I sent it back to get a replacement and noticed the price went up $300.
I always thought I was getting lucky crazy good deals once in a while on Amazon,n ow I'm wondering if I'm getting returns or factory rejects.
I'm thinking about taking this one apart but don't want to void the return.

Oh and I have an Asian made Jacobs 11N, pretty much junk.

We just got a couple of 14N super ball bearing chucks from MSC. They came with a rust inhibitor on them and felt rough. I took them to the parts washer tank cleaned them up and they are very smooth now.

Back