Logan 200 - Figuring this thing out!

I don't know anything about your lathe, but I recommend getting it assembled to ensure it's all there and working before you spend money on motors and tool posts. That's quite a project. Have fun and best of luck!

I don't know anything about your lathe, but I recommend getting it assembled to ensure it's all there and working before you spend money on motors and tool posts. That's quite a project. Have fun and best of luck!

Gaffer,

Thank you for the kind words. I certainly don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I figure a good order of operations is this:
- Purchase the minimum of parts required to complete the mechanical assembly (apron, gibs, misc hardware)
- Clean, lube, and assemble everything
- Check static state and measure to make sure all is (or can be made) straight and true
- Add motor
- Check dynamic state and ensure all functions as it should
- Go hog wild with the goodies :)

First off, welcome to the forum! That lathe looks like a good project.

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to look at craisgslist for parts like the post that supports the motor/drive box
or the broken hand wheel.

You also need a parts book: they can be ordered from Logan along with the operator's manual or can be downloaded
from this site if you are a silver or better supporting member. You can look up the age of your lathe by looking at the FAQ here:
lathe.com. You'll need the s/n when finding parts.

I looked up the apron casting and my parts book lists LA-350 as the correct part number.

As far as the motor goes, these machines came with 1/2 hp motors from the factory. Some folks fit 3/4 hp motors, but anything larger is a waste.
My machine has a 3 phase, 1/2 hp motor with a vfd and I'm happy with it though were I to do it over I'd probably fit a 3/4 since it will bog
down when drilling large holes.

When you evaluate the machine, check the condition of the spindle bearings. The large one at the chuck side of the headstock is sole source available from Logan: it's not cheap, but at lest they have them. The fact that someone fitted a rubber drive belt suggests they may have been replaced in the past. Logan has a surprising number of parts available for these machines. Folks complain about the prices, but where else can you get spare parts for a 75 year old lathe?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if anyone recognizes what this compound base is originally from:
img_1550-800x600.jpg

I suspect it was purchased to replace the broken piece I have, but it is not in the original manual or drawings. I'm not sure what the long slot is for. The taper doesn't fit the saddle taper, though the gib is not in place. I'll have to double check and see if there's a part number stamped into it.

I don't think that I would eliminate the counter shaft. The original spindle RPM range is something like 179 to 1450 RPM. Which is more than the satisfactory speed range of a variable speed AC or DC motor. Plus Back Gear of course. At the lower RPM, the motor would over heat.

The original recommended motor HP was probably between 1/3 and 1/2 or 3/4 HP. 2 HP would as you mentioned be much to much.

Once you get the part # of the loose dovetail & etc, you might try offering it as an even swap for the part that you actually need. That might actually require GOLD donor status, though. Selling it outright would. I am not sure about a swap.

No part number, it just has a "12" cast into the bottom. After spending some time in the manual today, I'm recognizing more of the bits and pieces. I found the gib and slipped it in under the base and the fit is nice and snug. I'll need to get a pin to retain the gib onto the base, but it seems like it should fit nicely.

I'm wondering if anyone recognizes what this compound base is originally from:
The longer cross slide with the slot in it is for use with a taper attachment. It replaces both the standard cross slide and the chip guard. The compound assemblies should be interchangeable between the two types of cross slides

The longer cross slide with the slot in it is for use with a taper attachment. It replaces both the standard cross slide and the chip guard. The compound assemblies should be interchangeable between the two types of cross slides

Ooo, starting to make some connections now.

Here we are with the gib in place, nice tight fit.
img_1633-800x600.jpg

And this would be the taper attachment:
img_1565-800x600.jpg

img_1567-800x600.jpg

img_1564-800x600.jpg

The taper attachment is labeled "J & R TOOL and MFG CO. DES MOINES IA." I did a little bit of poking around and the only reference I could find to J&R is a lawsuit against them for patent infringement in 1967.

And then I'm guessing that this piece bolts through the chip guard slot and saddles the taper guide:
img_1563-800x600.jpg

img_1562-800x600.jpg

So maybe I can make my own MT2 taper tailstock attachments :)

I got the front gib installed on the carriage, but the two screws that hold it in place are bent, so the gib doesn't tighten up evenly. I'll have to replace those screws. The heads are also a bit chewed up, likely as a result of trying to remove them after they bent.

img_1632-450x600.jpg

The rear gib is missing entirely, so I'll need to either find one or maybe have something made.

A little more cleanup on my 3-jaw shows that it's from Poland.

img_1634-800x600.jpg

You also need a parts book: they can be ordered from Logan along with the operator's manual or can be downloaded
from this site if you are a silver or better supporting member. You can look up the age of your lathe by looking at the FAQ here:
lathe.com. You'll need the s/n when finding parts.
Thank you for this link! My serial number puts this at 1946.

img_1630-800x600.jpg

Back