Logan lathe

Oldseabee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What model is this? I think it's worth restoration. Comes with all kinds of parts. For $600.

Attachments

• Facebook_creation_367080929.jpg
    Facebook_creation_367080929.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_20230214_180609_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230214_180609_Facebook.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 157
Here is a clearer picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214_191532_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230214_191532_Facebook.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 121
Well in checking the internt it is a 2500 series. It is a model # 2545-V-2. I'll get the serial number tomorrow. These first came out in 1955. Production in Chicago until 8/31/71.

Attachments

• Facebook_creation_371289043.jpg
    Facebook_creation_371289043.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 69
Depends on bed wear. It could be free, but if the bed is worn out, you have a major project on your hands.

The bed is first on the list to check. I would not put a dime out if the bed is shot. From what I can see in the pictures all of it is there. The person selling it said that it belonged to his grandfather who passed last April. And he had it apart working on it. I'm going to ask for some pictures of the bed.. if it bad it may show up. He said his grandpa took good care of his lathe and a mill. I'll have to wait and see.

I don't think you could lose money at $600, but there are a number of things that would concern me. One, the QCGB has been off and they reinstalled using only two bolts, of the wrong kind. Two, the lever for selecting power feed to the apron or cross feed (or neutral) is missing, as is the power feed clutch knob/lever. On the plus side, two chucks, plus a dividing head help a lot if you had to part it out. I'd rather buy a complete lathe (vintage) that isn't working than one missing almost any parts as they can be incredibly hard to source at this point.

Just be aware that the handle to change cross feed longitudinal feed and threading is missing. It might be a nightmare. I would give it a good going over if I were you. On those models the variable speed gets worn out. So make sure you run it through its paces.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Wow, guys. Look at all that loot in the chip tray. That's a domestic made dividing head with chuck, a 3-jaw, a 4-jaw, a collet closer seetup... How about this, buy the lathe, sell the QCGB and the dividing head, and you've already made profit money. What's left over is all gravy.

You might do a search for the missing parts on eBay before you look at buying it. There are nearly as many Logan parts on eBay as there are Atlas/Craftsman parts.

$600?

Yes, even if it proves to be too worn to make sub-thoundands parts you'll get more than that much value just putting it back into service. Any part you make should come with a tolerance and most won't be that critical. The machine looks complete and should be worthy of a cleanup, once you get it running you'll be able to tell what condition things are in. Even if you already have a good lathe this one would make a decent starter machine for someone getting their feet wet.

For reference:

And you still have to pay tax....

JOhn

Back