Logan lathe

The machine looks complete and should be worthy of a cleanup, once you get it running you'll be able to tell what condition things are in.

I'm not saying he shouldn't buy it, but if you zoom in on the pics it doesn't actually appear to be complete. The lever for selecting power feed to the saddle/compound is missing, as is the clutch knob/lever assembly. Also, the threading lever is in an odd position so all of that says there's some sort of issue in the apron that could be a major issue. Similarly, the QCGB has been removed at some point and replaced with only two of the four bolts, and the wrong kind of bolts were used....could be another major issue there. Logan parts aren't terribly rare, and maybe the missing parts are somewhere in the pile, but it still could be a challenge for someone if they aren't up to repairing a lathe (which often takes a lathe).

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm going to pass on this one.

One other lathe that I've been looking at is a Clausing 5914. Shipped to Los Angeles in April 1966. Nice clean machine but the hydraulic system needs work. Clausing carries all the parts, but it's a big long machine. I need something smaller.

Scott Logan is pretty active on the legacy Logan lathe Yahoo mailing list. He gives a lot of assistance and Logan still 'supports' us all with some parts and technical information. Parts from them aren't cheap, but the fact that they're still supporting us is pretty cool.

That in itself makes the Logan brand a little more attractive than comparable Atlas or SouthBend makes (Too me anyway)

As previously mentioned.... the accessory pile in that chip pan is probably worth more than the $600.

Other concerns raised are valid, and if you don't want a project this might not be for you.... but I't might just need a little sorting out to be a good lathe.

Very hard to tell unless you check it out in person.

The Clausing is a substantial machine compared to the Logan. In the home shop arena, the Clausing will likely leave you wanting for nothing, where with the Logan you will be pushing the envelope frequently enough to build a tinge of resent for its light construction. The Clausing is the machine that a hobby machinist will only need to buy once. Entry level equipment is almost always bought twice as its limits are quickly realized.

The Clausing is a substantial machine compared to the Logan. In the home shop arena, the Clausing will likely leave you wanting for nothing, where with the Logan you will be pushing the envelope frequently enough to build a tinge of resent for its light construction. The Clausing is the machine that a hobby machinist will only need to buy once. Entry level equipment is almost always bought twice as its limits are quickly realized.
true enough :laughing:

One other lathe that I've been looking at is a Clausing 5914. Shipped to Los Angeles in April 1966. Nice clean machine but the hydraulic system needs work. Clausing carries all the parts, but it's a big long machine. I need something smaller.

Man, if that was within a couple of hours from me I would grab it in a heartbeat and I already have the 14" big brother to it (6913). The variable speed system can be a pain, but most people can get it working with a little help from the Clausing user group, or just do a simple VFD conversion.

It would be nice if it had a steady rest, but that's not the end of the world...they come up with some frequency on eBay.

It appears they had it set up as a second operation unit with two tool posts and the turret assembly....pretty interesting. If anything, that might mean it was used for essentially light use, rather than heavy turning. I would probably try to find a traditional compound rest for it, but I can see that setup being more rigid and better for some things.

W

Well that one sold

When a deal is truly good, the decision must be swift. Good deals are gone faster than your future son in law after hearing the pregnancy test results.

The Logan has been modified with a new motor. So all of the original Logan speed controls and motor are gone. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Attachments

• 698445553.jpg
    698445553.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 73
Back