Logan Powermatic #2

Happycamper

Active User
Registered
Just bought a Logan Powermatic in great shape. I'm a little confused on the model numbers. There is a plate on the tail end of the bed with the model number shown as 1110011-LOOH and the serial number as 90278. On the gear box is another plate showing model number 1110008. I haven't found anything on a Logan Powermatic with those model numbers. Anyone have an idea of what model it would be? Where I could find a manual and parts list? Date of manufacture?

Last edited:
Re: Logan Powermatic

happy,

I don't know the answers but while we're waiting for someone to come along who does, I just browsed through several Logan catalogs between 1953 and 1968 and didn't see the term "Powermatic". So I would have to assume that it wasn't made within those 15 years.

As far as dating it by Serial Number, call Logan on Monday. I don't know of any other source. I do know that Logan machines are not listed in the only known industry wide serial number list between about 1920 and 1969. So no help there.

Robert D.

Ok... Went to the logan site and they have a list of models which shows the model 1110011 but it lists it as a turret tail stock lathe. It appears someone took the turret tail stock off and installed a regular tail stock on it. The model 1110011 is the last 11" model number listed so I am assuming it was made in the mid 80's. I emailed them inquiring about a manual/parts list for it.

Logan sold to Houdaille in 70 or so and moved out of Chicago a few years later. If I remember correctly, Houdaille liquidated the metalworking line in about 85 (ended the production of these lathes and the Powermatic Mill).

Here is a link to a lathe catalogue from the Sterling Machinery site .. looks like it might be an '83 catalogue:
http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/logan lathes brochure.pdf

'camper (please sign your posts),

From the late catalog Ed posted the link to, I think I've figured out part of the late model number logic. The first digit (1) probably means lathes. The second and third digits are the swing in inches. The remaining four are probably model sequence numbers or specific variant indicators. L00 is the spindle nose type. Didn't find anything indicating what the "H" means, though.

1110008 is a standard 11" swing engine lathe. 1110011 is the same thing but outfitted as a turret lathe. I've no idea as to why your machine has two model numbers on it. But as-found, it would appear to be a 1110008. On the inside of the back cover is what appears to be a date (as Ed mentioned) of 6/83 which I take to mean June, 1983 (the pending Y2K fiasco hadn't yet occurred to anyone). So your machine must have been made after 1963 and before 1985.

Robert D.

Hey guys, thanks! The catalog answered a lot of questions I had. I've ordered a manual and hopefully it'll tell me what I need to know about the motor. It is a 1 1/2 hp 3 phase according to the catalog. I took the cover off the electrical panel and it has directions on operating the motor on single phase. Anyone ever do that without a VFD or convertor?

Jerry H.

I'm not sure what Logan has for parts/info on these, since they were produced after Logan sold the company. One other option might be to try DC Morrison. I know they bought out inventories of the Powermatic/Millrite vertical mill parts when Houdaille sold out ... not sure if they bought the lathe line as well or not.

Jerry,

I have a vivid recollection of what happened when a 150 HP 440 V motor on a compressor skid lost two phases. But I never heard of anyone with what I assume is a 3-wire Delta or 4-wire Wye connected motor running it on single phase. If it were a 12-wire I assume it would work as I have a 12-wire 45 KW standby generator that can be connected a bunch of different ways, including 120/240 3-wire single phase. Based on the generator, I imagine that the motor would be 1.25 HP running on single phase. But I don't recall ever seeing such a motor in the catalogs.

If it really shows a single phase connection, could you either up load or send me the instructions? I'm curious.

Robert D.

Robert, it has a magnetic starter, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Here's the sheet that is on the inside of the control panel.

Jerry H.

image.jpg

Jerry, I think I see where the confusion is. The text on the left side addresses a single phase connection for the starter. This starter can be used to start a single phase motor by using the L1-T1, and L3-T3 terminals. This is not to say that you can run a 3 phase motor wired for single phase without some additional device like a phase converter or a VFD.

Back