Logan Powermatic #2

Re: Logan Powermatic

Robert, it has a magnetic starter, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Here's the sheet that is on the inside of the control panel.

Jerry H.

Those are instructions for using that starter with a single-phase motor.

Jerry,

As Jim & John says, the note applies to the starter, not to the motor.

Robert D.

That's what I thought but I didn't know what a 'magnetic starter' was. Also, I've ordered a VFD. Has anyone used the controls on the lathe (F-S-R, the E stop, power button, and the brake) with a VFD? Does anyone know whether the powermatic controls are 24 volt? Looking at the info on the panel above, it appears there is a transformer there.

Jerry H.

That's what I thought but I didn't know what a 'magnetic starter' was. Also, I've ordered a VFD. Has anyone used the controls on the lathe (F-S-R, the E stop, power button, and the brake) with a VFD? Does anyone know whether the powermatic controls are 24 volt? Looking at the info on the panel above, it appears there is a transformer there.

Jerry H.

You should be able to use the existing controls with a VFD. Is the brake mechanical or electrical?

As far as a transformer, I think you may be looking at the coil in the starter. I don't see a transformer in that circuit. You can look at the voltage on the coil to see what it is, it should be clearly marked.

Jerry H.

There's no transformer in that diagram. The coil voltage is as indicated in the table on the lower right.

I have the same lathe, with the standard (non-contactor) controls, also 3-phase.
I also have a 12" with the contactor controls.
I have a pair of Mitsubishi VFDs to mate to them, so I'm headed down the same road as you are.

The course I intend to take is to hook the VFD directly to the motor, and use my own switches to control the lathe. Once that works, I'll transfer the switching duties to the OE switches, one at a time.

Post a pic or two of your lathe. Here are mine:

IMG_3285.JPGIMG_3319.JPGIMG_3328.JPGIMG_3308.JPGThe green one is 11", gold one is 12". Photos are "as found", before cleanup. These lathes were mint when they went into storage in 2007. Sad.

IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3285.JPG IMG_3319.JPG IMG_3308.JPG

Oh, the "H" is for Hardened bed.

Jerry,

A "starter", which in this context means "motor starter", is some sort of switch with overloads either installed or an option. Starters can be either manual/mechanical or magnetic/relay. You have the latter. The drawing in the starter cover is generic, covering several different size starters (sizes 0, 1 and 2) with either 120/208-240 volt or 208-240/460 volt coils, not 24 volt. The coil is the circle with four wires coming out of it in the center of the top right drawing.

I've never looked at the schematic of a Powermatic so don't know whether it uses any 24 volt controls or not. If the brake is electrical, it could be 24 volt.

I would imagine that you could adapt the controls on the lathe to operate the VFD. But I would have to see the schematics of it and the VFD to determine that. FWIW, I don't think that you will use the motor starter with the VFD.

Robert D.

Jerry H.

Thanks guys. AR1911, mine is an 11" and looks like your green one and has the same electrical controls except mine is gold. I got the manual in and there is nothing about the lever control under the stop swith. I'm assuming that it is the electrical brake switch. Do you know? I'll post some pics later. Mine came from the maintenance shop of a local school district. One of the maintenance guys told me that it was seldom used, that they had purchased it years ago to convert some items at all the campuses to comply with ADA requirements when the ADA law was enacted. He said that after that, they might have used it once a month. It was setting in their maintenance shop and is covered in a layer of dirt and grime. When I checked it out there is virtually no backlash on the crossfeed or compound and none in the saddle and ways. (Something I'm not used to with my old lathe!) he said they put it up for the auction because the last time they used it, the motor would come up to full speed and then start winding down to a stop. They would turn the switch off and turn it back on and it would do the same thing. I had the motor checked out by an electrical repair shop and there is nothing wrong with it so it is probably something in the magnetic starter ( but I really don't) in any case I have a VFD coming in and since I don't have three phase will have to wait until then to power it up. I'm planning on doing the same, use the controls on the VFD until I can get a transformer (or figure out if the lathe controls are low voltage) then wire in the lathe switches to the VFD. By using the VFD I'll hopefully eliminate the problem that was causing the motor to die.

Jerry H.

Last edited:

..... I'm planning on doing the same, use the controls on the VFD until I can get a transformer (or figure out if the lathe controls are low voltage) then wire in the lathe switches to the VFD.......

Jerry H.

The VFD has it's own low voltage power supply for the controls, and doesn't require any external control power.

It is possible to control an electric brake from the relay output on the VFD, but we would need to see the wiring diagram for the lathe to understand how everything works. If you have the operators manual it should be in there.

What VFD did you buy?.

Back