Logan Powermatic #2

Re: Logan Powermatic

I looked at the pics again and my controls(F-S-R, start and estop are just like the ones on the gold machine but mine has the (what I think is) the brake lever under the estop like the lever in the pic of the green machine(the lever with the '274' tag).

Jerry H.

And the list of what is what. The titles are at the bottom of the boxes so it is the mag w rev drum.

. image.jpg

image.jpg

Based on the wiring diagram, I would say the brake is mechanical and hand operated. Wiring up the VFD is very easy. You could use the motor starter as the main power control/E-stop, and wire the drum switch to control the FOR/OFF/REV function of the VFD.

You would push the Start button to power up the VFD, and pushing the Stop button would kill power to the VFD. You would not have to change anything in the Stop/Start circuit.

I found a link on another forum where a logan owner was talking about the brake. According to him it is a spindle brake and is electrical. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow.

Jerry H

Ok, figured out the brake. It is a mechanical brake with a switch that kills the motor. It's mounted so when you mash down on the lever, the end of the lever has a brake shoe that presses up against the spindle.

Does anyone know how much oil goes in the spindle and in the apron? I've got it cleaned up and have started lubing it. The manual doesn't have the capacity of the spindle or the apron.

You fill the apron till it runs out.
Likewise, the spindle will only take so much oil - a few CCs I reckon.

The fill hole is on the top of the apron ........so you fill ER up?

Yep! The apron reservoir is open at the back. The lower inside wall extends up about 1.5 inches to form the reservoir. Excess oil runs over that low wall into the chip tray​

Well back at it after a little trip to Florida to see new grand babies. I finished cleaning all the crud off the lathe and really like what I have. The VFD, a Huanyang purchased off ebay was waiting for me so I wired it up and to the leeson 1 1/2 hp motor setting in the lathe. After searching the internet, I found a YouTube video of another Huanyang VFD and used the parameters he graciously provided. Got it running after another YouTube on which buttons to push to do what for the programing. Right now it's set up to operate from the VFD but tomorrow or Mon I'll make a trip to get the 18 gauge shielded cable to run to the controls on the lathe. Since I didn't see a power on/off switch on the VFD I guess I'll have to get a cut-off switch for that also. I am probably going to need some help with figuring out the stop switch on the manual brake on the lathe. The F/R and stop start appear to be fairly straight forward. Has anyone messed with the stop/manual brake set up?

Once I get it running I've got an older lathe I'll take out of my shop and put the new one in. Then hopefully sell the old one.

Back