Looking for a better mag base

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a small assortment of import mag bases.
One like this:
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 11.07.11 AM.png
A large and a small version of this:
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 11.08.38 AM.png

I have dial indicators and dial test indicators, plus a Starrett 196 back plunger set.
I use the dial indicators with the first base which is honestly an exercise in frustration. The DTIs work fine on the second style.
Is there a base that wil allow me to use either a dial indicator and a DTI?

I would get this one for those times when a really solid stand is necessary, like when checking run out on your machines. It adjusts with one knob and has a fine adjust at the base. It will hold a 3/8" dial indicator stem and the dovetail of a dti. You will have to make an adapter to fit the stem of your Starrett 196, though.

This is easily one of the best deals in a good Noga stand that you'll find. The whole thing costs just about what the fine adjust base costs.

Exactly what is causing you to be frustrated? Once we know that solutions can be offered.

Ok, I think I understand what you are asking. First style can hold a lug back dial indicator but has no dovetail mount for holding DTIs. But DTIs usually come with a stem that mounts to the dovetails on the indicator. If yours did not they can be purchased separately.

The second style usually can hold dovetails directly or has a hole for a 3/8" and/or 8mm stem, not sure about asian import ones. AGD indicators usually have a 3/8" stem but it's awkward to hold a dial indicator like that.

Most people make an adapter to attach to the lug back on a DI to mount in the 3/8" hole. Just this past Sat I made one so I can show you. Well sort of (not made from scratch), I've had this Starrett attachment sitting in a drawer for yrs, never knew what it was for or where I got it. But it had a 1/4" stem. So I made a sleeve for it to step up to 3/8", now it could work with a lug back DI with my Noga.

So just make an adapter to attach to the lug back on the DI so you can use it with the articulating one. And if you like using the articulating one, I think you need a Noga like many of us have. ;)

20200519_115047.jpg20200519_182818.jpg20200519_183546.jpg20200519_184044.jpg

However most of my DIs are Mitutoyo & they have dovetails on them. I have always held them by the dovetails & use flat backs on them. Well after making that adapter I didn't like it cause I am so used to holding by the dovetail so I went back to my old method. And this wasn't even on Time Wastin' Thursday. :D EDIT: I've since gone back to using it & like it.

20200430_185515.jpg

@mickri My general issue is that adjusting the top style into place is frustrating because as soon as the adjusting knob on the vertical post loosened, the whole thing goes out of whack. Admittedly the base I have is crap quality so that could be a lot of the issue.

Thanks @mikey, I had thought that style had fallen from favour though I see that it's fairly different.

Thanks @darkzero That's helpful, I do admit that the back lug mount to be the most annoying to use because of the difficulty of trying to adjust the knurled nut.

I know the feeling with those goofy spring-type arm assemblies — they are anything but sturdy and frustrating to set up. The base itself is usually okay though, so I keep mine as a dedicated “stubby” that I use at the lathe for carriage travel. That’s all it does, nothing else.

C7F45189-8996-4788-A1CF-A1C71C75D3A4.jpeg

I also have one (okay, maybe several) of the cheapie single-point arm units that work kinda sorta. One I have set up with a small 1” diameter indicator for close work on the machines. Great for something like setting a parting tool where a larger setup might get in the way.

For absolute rigidity though I am with Mikey and have a solid-arm Noga with fine adjust at the bottom (FAB). The bars are a good 1/2” in diameter, silky smooth, and when you lock the knob they are locked, solidly. I can’t remember the part number for it but it has a nice reach and decent power in the magnet. The head will take a normal stud as well as a dovetail mount.

2B4F28A5-9E77-4B11-B866-88211544EFD5.jpeg

And then I also do goofy things like make my own mag backs for indicators to fit different applications. My preference is not so much to have a multi-purpose stand but rather several dedicated stands that remain set to do one or two different setups. The price of a decent indicator isn’t huge, and while I do have some nice ones my daily drivers are the $30 imports from Lee Valley of which I have an embarrassingly large array.

7B7E00E9-8319-4823-8A71-3885D084C96D.jpeg

-frank

I struggled with cheap (and starrett) bases forever, the Noga bases are the only ones I'd use again for indicator holding. They are so much easier to adjust they save me a huge amount of frustration every time. They are expensive, yes, but worth it all day.

For me the fine adjust on the inexpensive holders seems to be the issue. Doesn't appear to hold one point very well due to play.

Noga FAB is the shiz. I doubted they were that much better than the cheap imports. I was very wrong. The cheap ones are good enough for chip shields. For measuring, it is all about the Noga.

Back