Looking for a better mag base

I have 3 of the Nogas with the top adjustment. I want to try one with a bottom adjustment. I use the middle size one the most.
I can highly recommend you try one.
Watch a couple of aboms videos and watch him mount the indicator on his lathe and see how convenient it is.
JoeScreenshot_20200525-185256_Gallery.jpg

I've had a bunch of different Nogas, so many it became ridiculous. Having used them for a while I came to not like the FATs, I prefer the FABs much more. I sold all the FATs and only kept one but it's not on a mag base, it's mounted to an Indicol style clamp. Not sure why I decided to keep that one though as I pretty much never use it. I think I have only 7 Nogas now. :oops:

Looks like KBC has a better price on the FAB Noga (look at me picking up the lingo!) Just need to add another $300 to my order to get free shipping... :D

I think you guys have Travers in Canada too? A few of mine came from Travers when they had em in their monthly flyers. Was cheaper than anywhere else at the time & I have a local Travers so I was able to pick them up in store & save on shipping. That was a while ago though, not sure if they still have good prices on them.

David, there are times when you will want an articulating arm type stand but just know that while they are really convenient, they are not all that rigid. They work fine if you don't extend the arms a lot but get a good indicator way out there and it will tend to move. I think you really need two types, one articulating and one 2-post like the one I linked to.

The advantage to the 2-arm post is rigidity. As long as you don't overextend the arms it is about as rigid a set up as you can get. When checking spindle run out or evaluating the concentricity of a chuck or tool, no other stand I know of will work better. I have 6 Noga stands in various styles and when I have to check my spindle, the 2-arm post comes out. If I could only have one stand, it would be the Noga PH2040.

I agree with Mike after getting the PH that Mike recommened a while back. It really is more rigid & because of the price I couldn't pass it up. Honestly I don't use it that much but it will be kept for the times I do. I don't have a need to break out my tenths indicators that much & is when I use the PH. 98% of the time I use the the articulating ones cause they are so much easier & quicker to use and good enough for me. Depends on what you work on & the tolerances you work with. While it is nice to measure spindle runout & such as accurate as you can it's not often for me. Even when I dial in my Set-Tru chucks I don't use a tenths indicator & I use the articulating type.

I agree with Mike after getting the PH that Mike recommened a while back. It really is more rigid & because of the price I couldn't pass it up. Honestly I don't use it that much but it will be kept for the times I do. I don't have a need to break out my tenths indicators that much & is when I use the PH. 98% of the time I use the the articulating ones cause they are so much easier & quicker to use and good enough for me. Depends on what you work on & the tolerances you work with. While it is nice to measure spindle runout & such as accurate as you can it's not often for me. Even when I dial in my Set-Tru chucks I don't use a tenths indicator & I use the articulating type.

I don't use the PH2040 that much but when I need it, I need it. Even with all the stands I have, you still beat me easily, Will!

Funny but I did use the PH2040 and a tenths indicator to dial in my PB 6 jaw, just to see how close I could get it to run on a precision 1/2" dowel pin and got it down to 0.00015" TIR - close enough! It won't be as accurate when I chuck anything else but it was fun to see that the PB can be dialed in if you spend the time.

I forgot to say, you need to get both! :big grin: (It's been a while since I've got the chance to try & help someone spend their money!)

But I know Nogas are expensive, even used, so if budget is an issue, decide what you will find more useful to get first...... then get the other one later. :D

As someone above mentioned, if (when) you do get an articulating arm Noga, you'll be amazed how much better it is compared to the knock off Chinese import ones. (I have no idea who actually invented it if not Noga)

I don't use the PH2040 that much but when I need it, I need it. Even with all the stands I have, you still beat me easily, Will!

Funny but I did use the PH2040 and a tenths indicator to dial in my PB 6 jaw, just to see how close I could get it to run on a precision 1/2" dowel pin and got it down to 0.00015" TIR - close enough! It won't be as accurate when I chuck anything else but it was fun to see that the PB can be dialed in if you spend the time.

I used to use a tenth indicator when dialing in my chucks or a part with the 4-jaw. I was just fooling myself & found myself wasting much more time chasing the needle. I thought to myself (for me) what's the point, scroll chuck won't hold that accuracy at different diameters anyway & no way do I need to try & work in those tolerances anyway. :D

But as you said, fun to see & good practice. Remember that time I mistakenly posted about my TMX collets reading practically zero? Well it was because of the articulating arm using a tenth DI that was throwing off the reading. Switched to the PH & problem solved.

Back