Looking for Mill

dadnjesse

Registered
Registered
I'm new to this Forum and never used a Mill. I want to learn and am looking at buying one. I know nothing about a Mill but was looking at the PM 728 or PM 25. I see they have lots of accessories to add to the sale. Do I need to purchase a Chuck and a Collet set to make it functional? Anything else that it doesn't come with that is a must have.

Allow me to offer some of my own experiences (mistakes) .
I wish I had:
Watched every YouTube video on the use of milling machines (how to select one, how to use one - names like Dale Berry, Blondihacks, Joe Piecezynski, Stuart de Haro, and dieselshadowman come to mind)
Haunted machinist forums (like this one) and lurk to digest every post discussing milling machines (avoiding the temptation to enter conversations for the first couple of visits)
Selected a machine that was more than I immediately needed and saved my money to buy the best I could possibly afford .. even it I had to wait a few months.
Drawn up a plan for where I would place my equipment and created a plan (as well as a contingency plan) for unloading, preparing and setting up the machine(s). Will I need 220 volt outlets where I don't have them now.
You might buy a mill, learn how to use it and become quite proficient, only to discover that you want to do work that requires an upgraded machine.
I own a very nice mill; but it's small and some of the work I do (or want to do) would be much easier if I had one of the mills you listed. My mill doesn't have a DRO; so now I have to buy one and install it. My mill is gear driven and I am converting it to belt drive.
Hope that helps ....
I'd suggest you print out the descriptions of both of the machines you listed. Compare them side by side, including all the extras. Then, as you study videos and forum discussions, you'll better understand the options you have to consider.

Last edited:
I'm new here as well but certainly not new to the machinist trade. Good for you for wanting to explore the ins and outs of machining. However, when I see a thread started by someone who has no experience at all in the machinist trade and they want to jump right in and buy this machine or that machine it makes me cringe a little. My best advice is take a class or two at a local community college and see if you like it before investing in a machine. I have years of experience running manual machines so I know exactly what to expect if I buy a mill/lathe, yet I keep dragging my feet when it comes to pulling the trigger on a new machine. I couldn't imagine buying a machine with zero experience in using it. You might love the trade, or you might hate it. People in the machinist videos make it look easy because they have experience. It's not going to be like that when you get your first machine. Some here including myself have 8000 hours plus just to get our journeyman's card. That's equivalent to a four year time investment and at the end you still have plenty to learn.

I have no intention of going into the trade I'm 60 and retired. I have been looking but haven't been able to find any courses in New Hampshire. Maybe an expensive toy but I have found to get the best I can afford. Never the less I am still looking for an answer to my question as to what these machines are missing for basic operation.

Never the less I am still looking for an answer to my question as to what these machines are missing for basic operation.
You would need a vice, some kind of clamping kit, collets for end mills and other various cutters that you buy and or make on your mill. A drill chuck too comes in very handy but you could get away with using collets to do some drilling to start out with. Basic measuring tools also.

You know......when I was a teen I bought a unicycle without knowing how to ride one. I can still ride it at age 55.

I think at minimum you would want the following:
Vise
Collet set
Drill Chuck
Indicator of some flavor
Set of hold downs clamps studs and nuts
Cutting tools endmills face mills flycutters slitting saws ect
Additionally consider adding
DRO
Power Feeds
Your planned uses will dictate where you go from here

Thanks, do I need the 52 piece clamp set that they say you need with their Vise or can I get one using the T slots.

Thanks, do I need the 52 piece clamp set that they say you need with their Vise or can I get one using the T slots.
Starting out you could just buy some T-Nuts and a length of threaded rod and make your own. I looked at that clamp kit and it looks pretty good for 60 bucks.

dadnjesse - Welcome to H-M.

and to the Tool buying rabbit hole.

In addition to what seasicksteve listed.....

I'd add some form of measurement tools and a few other things.

Calipers 0-6"
Micrometer 0-1"
Steel Rule
Edge Finder
Vise Stop
Parallels

Then there are the consumables:

Cutting and Way oils
Cutting fluid containers
Acid Brushes
Oil Dispensing can

Places like Little Machine Shop have starter kits for many of the items listed above, which are plenty "good enough" to start.

Less important to start:
Collet blocks , which would allow you to easily do Hex and Square shapes on round shafts. Though you will need a set 5C or ER collets to go with the blocks you choose.
Rotary Table

Back