Looking for Mill

I disassembled my PM25 to take it down into my basement. With another helper it's quite doable. Even down some very narrow stairs into my unimproved basement. Surprisingly wasn't too hard to reassemble the column onto the base with helpers.

I was milling some steel today. You are not going to hog out steel with a PM25, but if you take reasonable cuts, you get there. On the advice about a good vise, get the best one you can afford - not the cheap ones. The cheap ones will not hold your work flat in the vise. They have jaw lift. Jaw lift tilts your work piece. Alternatively, buy a toolmakers screwless vise. They are very rigid for their size. The steel I was milling was to make hold downs for the 3" toolmakers vise I recently purchased for $75. There's a lot to learn here on HM, so spend some time reading. Many of our members are extremely talented and are very willing to help out. It's a good place to hang out.

I need to move to Ohio if you can get movers to come out for $50. When I inquired with a local mover about getting my lathe into my basement, minimum charge was $800. I have a Burke Millrite I moved into my basement through a Bilco door by taking it mostly apart and hiring a flatbed wrecker to lower the main casting down the stairs. I did the same thing with my PM1236T. I‘ll be making a writeup on that in the near future.

I second the comment about buying the best you can. If you decide this is not for you and want to sell it, better equipment is easier to sell, and you will get more money for it. You will also find that if you do really like it, you will do much more in the future than you imagine you will be doing now, so the better machine will let you grow into the hobby. Keep in mind, the most expensive tool you buy is the one you need to buy twice.

Back