Looking for Mill

Hi @dadnjesse
Firstly - welcome to HM. You found a place where folk will help.
Recently (December), the folk here helped me get together all I needed, as I was starting out like you. There are, of course, lots of other threads on helping choose a mill, but the one I had was this..
--> Thread HERE

Mine was a mill drill, but even so, a 130kg crate cannot be sneaked past any lady of the house!

Yes, IMO, you need the recommended clamp set. You should also have a machinists level and you may also want a rotary table (with or without tail stock) and dividing plates if you want to work on cylindrical projects. A good machinist vise, one that has trued jaws, is essential.

Hi Dadnjesse! Welcome to HM, we hope you enjoy your stay :p

I started with a Sherline (Spectralight) 2000 CNC mill (50lbs). I understand the limitations for sure. I have since owned a G0704 (350lbs) converted to CNC thrice, and I am in the market for something even more substantial (1000lb+)

Really it all depends on your budget and what work you want to do on the mill. If you can elaborate a bit, I can try and suggest whether or not you will be happy with the new mill.

I think hobby guys fall into a few categories, help me understand where you fall:
  • I like playing with machines, I don't how long it takes, or how nice the end result is, just glad to be making chips.
  • I want light duty quality parts, but budget is tight and I don't mind fiddling with the machine to get it there.
  • I want light duty quality parts fast, and I'm willing to spend a bit more to get there
  • I want light duty quality parts and I don't want to tinker with the machine to make that happen. It should work out of the box.
  • I need some more rigidity for my projects, my work will mostly be steel and I want to use tools like the professionals do!
  • I really need more rigidity. I work on cars, tractors, etc.
  • I plan to make money in my shop and will set up what is needed to make that happen. Time is money.
Based on your comments, I have a feeling you fall into the "light duty quality parts" category like me. I'd suggest you, at a minimum, look at the PM-25/G0704 sized machine. It is still light duty but you can work in steel. Too much lighter and I wouldn't want to touch steel. If you can afford it, a more substantial machine will give you room to grow.

I can attest that the G0704/PM-25 is perfect for heavy work in aluminum and light work in steel. It is too small to use most indexable tools, facemills, etc, but can handle a 3/8" endmill in aluminum and 1/4" endmill in steel very well.

The lighter duty machines will struggle with rigidity, forcing worse tolerances and slower cutting. The G0704/PM-25 is far from perfect, but it seems to be the best option when it comes to benchtop mills under $2k.

As others have said, tooling will cost about as much as the machine. You don't need it all on day 1, but just expect it. Some basic cutting tools, tool holding, work holding, and measuring tools will be needed to get you started.

Last edited:
My starter list of tooling to be bought with the mill (minimum starter kit) would be:
  • 4" Machine vise, you'll eventually want a quality one, so either suck it up now or expect to buy a better one down the road
  • R8 collet set (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" will cover just about everything)
  • Drill Chuck (0-1/2")
  • Couple of endmills, HSS and cheap (you will break these)
  • Drill set (You will break these too!)
  • Basic set of parallels
  • 6" digital Calipers
  • 1" Dial indicator 0.0005" resolution
  • Edge finder
After a little while you will probably want
  • Clamping kit, holds all your funny shaped parts
  • 0-1" Micrometer, 0.0001" resolution
  • 115 piece drill index
  • Collection of taps
  • 2" boring head with a few boring bars
  • 0.0005" Dial Test Indicator
  • More endmills
  • Flycutter/facemill
  • Counter sinks
  • Reamers

Hi Dadnjesse! Welcome to HM, we hope you enjoy your stay :p

I started with a Sherline (Spectralight) 2000 CNC mill (50lbs). I understand the limitations for sure. I have since owned a G0704 (350lbs) converted to CNC thrice, and I am in the market for something even more substantial (1000lb+)

Really it all depends on your budget and what work you want to do on the mill. If you can elaborate a bit, I can try and suggest whether or not you will be happy with the new mill.

I think hobby guys fall into a few categories, help me understand where you fall:
  • I like playing with machines, I don't how long it takes, or how nice the end result is, just glad to be making chips.
  • I want light duty quality parts, but budget is tight and I don't mind fiddling with the machine to get it there.
  • I want light duty quality parts fast, and I'm willing to spend a bit more to get there
  • I want light duty quality parts and I don't want to tinker with the machine to make that happen. It should work out of the box.
  • I need some more rigidity for my projects, my work will mostly be steel and I want to use tools like the professionals do!
  • I really need more rigidity. I work on cars, tractors, etc.
  • I plan to make money in my shop and will set up what is needed to make that happen. Time is money.
Based on your comments, I have a feeling you fall into the "light duty quality parts" category like me. I'd suggest you, at a minimum, look at the PM-25/G0704 sized machine. It is still light duty but you can work in steel. Too much lighter and I wouldn't want to touch steel. If you can afford it, a more substantial machine will give you room to grow.

I can attest that the G0704/PM-25 is perfect for heavy work in aluminum and light work in steel. It is too small to use most indexable tools, facemills, etc, but can handle a 3/8" endmill in aluminum and 1/4" endmill in steel very well.

The lighter duty machines will struggle with rigidity, forcing worse tolerances and slower cutting. The G0704/PM-25 is far from perfect, but it seems to be the best option when it comes to benchtop mills under $2k.

As others have said, tooling will cost about as much as the machine. You don't need it all on day 1, but just expect it. Some basic cutting tools, tool holding, work holding, and measuring tools will be needed to get you started.
I am in the middle of the list. My biggest problem is it will go in my basement so a few hundred pounds is all that I can handle, also price. I stated looking at the Grizzly ones then found this forum and the PM model. From what I understand the PM being made in Taiwan is a better product.

My starter list of tooling to be bought with the mill (minimum starter kit) would be:
  • 4" Machine vise, you'll eventually want a quality one, so either suck it up now or expect to buy a better one down the road
  • R8 collet set (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" will cover just about everything)
  • Drill Chuck (0-1/2")
  • Couple of endmills, HSS and cheap (you will break these)
  • Drill set (You will break these too!)
  • Basic set of parallels
  • 6" digital Calipers
  • 1" Dial indicator 0.0005" resolution
  • Edge finder
After a little while you will probably want
  • Clamping kit, holds all your funny shaped parts
  • 0-1" Micrometer, 0.0001" resolution
  • 115 piece drill index
  • Collection of taps
  • 2" boring head with a few boring bars
  • 0.0005" Dial Test Indicator
  • More endmills
  • Flycutter/facemill
  • Counter sinks
  • Reamers
Best post yet.

I am in the middle of the list. My biggest problem is it will go in my basement so a few hundred pounds is all that I can handle, also price. I stated looking at the Grizzly ones then found this forum and the PM model. From what I understand the PM being made in Taiwan is a better product.

So I too am a basement shopper. I have the 350lb mill and a 1000lb lathe down there. All is possible with some rigging of ropes and a friend to watch your back.

That being said, the mill can be taken apart. Table comes off and head comes off very easily. No harm in doing this and probably good to force yourself to tram everything. Then you're left with the base and column, 150lb max. Even those can be separated with a big hex bit on a wrench.

You'll probably want to buy/rent an engine hoist to lift it without risking injury. Harbor Freight's 1ton is plenty fine and goes on sale for around $120 now and again. Doesn't get a ton of use but much needed when you do need it. Also good for moving a vise/rotary onto the table if you have lift limitations.

Moving heavy stuff down stairs is never fun, but for the stuff we are talking about, a furniture dolly would have no issue at all. I bet a local moving company would get it down the stairs for $50.

I don't own a PM machine, but I get the impression that the quality is better than Grizzly as is the support. The prices are close so I'd lean towards PM if I were to do it again.

Back