Looking for Sanford MG-612 Surface Grinder owners

Home at last! Finally got the Sanford MG moved to my basement (picture below). I gave up on the two guys who said they would help me (but it was always "next week"), and moved it myself (in pieces). It really wasn't that much work to take it apart and move the pieces with the help of a shop crane and dollys.

Lots more pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DxA0ndhxk4dyiMED2

and here:

https://sites.google.com/site/lagadoacademy/machining---lathes-mills-etc/my-surface-grinder

Should be able to do my first test grind shortly. I'm taking some advice I read elsewhere and leaving the table and mag chuck as I found them for now; I'll grind them in one I have a feel for how the machine operates (and I get some new grinding wheels). In the meanwhile, I'll just grind some test pieces that don't matter until I'm comfortable with the grinder.

sanford-mg-installed.jpg

Hey Kevin,
I gave you the incorrect serial number for my machine. I had gone off of a slightly blurry photo. Attached is a close up.
My machine had the Sopko 35135 wrench with it. I ordered a Williams #424 wrench for the back of the wheel adapter. Same size as the Sopko wrench, but it doesn't have the socket.
I ordered the Sopko 116 adapter puller from Travers and it came yesterday.
The spindle nut is frozen on the spindle, so I sprayed some Kroil on it and when the Williams wrench arrives, I'll break it loose. I really don't want to hammer on it.
Regarding oiling the column; my machine has a Gits oil cup on the top. I'm not sure if it was original on the machine or was added by the previous owner.
The previous owner was a small tool and die shop in a former industrial area in Baltimore city. My first machine shop job was about 2 blocks away. I didn't even know that the street was there. The shop was being liquidated by a neighborhood group, as it had been abandoned...at least that is how it looked. I don't know the company name, even. There was no sign on the building and it looked like the business papers had been carted off.
Andy

Sanford number.JPG

Here's the only pictures I have of mine from when I went and picked it up.
Long story short, the guy had bought it from Alenco out of Chicago who had rebuilt it, ended up in a messy divorce, and the wife ended up with the house and all his machines. It was even hooked up yet so think it was unused following rebuild.
Anyway, it's still stored in my brothers shed since I've not had the time to reorganize my shop to fit it in yet.
One question, did they come standard with 3 phase motors ??? I'd assumed they did as there was a phase converter next to the machine when I bought it that wasn't hooked up yet. I went ahead and bought the converter as well just in case.
20160828_120656.jpg20160828_120708.jpg20160828_120731.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that single phase motors were standard. And, that 3 phase motors were optional.

Guess I'll have to double check mine and see if it's single or 3 phase.
Thanks Andy

First test grind:

I have not yet ground in the table and mag chuck on my Sanford MG; I'm planning to do that once I had a bit of hands-on with the machine, and get some new grinding wheels. My mag chuck definitely needs a grind (and also has a bit of rust), but seems to be OK otherwise.

Below is my first test grind - a piece of hot rolled steel which I had previously "flattened" on my mill with a carbide end mill. Before grinding I dressed the wheel with a diamond grinder. The wheel that came with my grinder is a Radiac F322185 (originally a 7" wheel, but now worn down to about 4.9"). It took about five passes to get a completely even surface (taking 5 tenths on each pass).

I had one minor scare when I first put the wheel back on and started it up - I had taken the wheel cover housing off and put it back on again, and just assumed that the housing went on as far as it would go. When I started it up, the side of the wheel was scraping the inside of the housing cover. Made a hell of a racket but I shut it down immediately and no real harm done; readjusted the housing and all is well.

sanford-mg-first-grind.jpg

One more pic of my Sanford MG (Ser. # 1561323 M) - all cleaned up and put back together. The shop light in the picture came with the grinder, but I don't think it's an original. The switch on the light socket was not working, but was easy to fix by just replacing the socket - the old socket fell apart when I removed it.

The grit catcher on the left end of the table is certainly not an original; it's pretty well made though (may have come off another grinder). I like what projectnut did to make a vacuum attachment, so I'm planning to copy his idea.

sanford-mg-installed-light.jpg

Another question for the group:

The removable column cover for my machine has two holes on either side of the top sides (see pic below). At first I though these were to help attach the cover, but there's nothing but air behind either hole. They appear to be tapped for a #10 screw; not sure if they are original to the machine or not.

Does anyone else have these on their machine? Anyone know what they're for?

sanford-mg-column-cover-hole.jpg

Back