Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

Interesting. That particular one spells out a slicer for laser cutting. That is a whole lot different than 3D printing where infill density, speed, nozzle size, temperature of both the hot end and build plate and most importantly, supports, need to be generated to produce a 3D print.
Have you tried it with a 3D printer? I am thinking that it would fall far short for 3D printing.
I don't mean to be argumentative but I have a fair amount of experience 3D printing and just don't see the Fusion slicer working with a printer at this point.
Also, producing an STL file is not "slicing". That is just a format for export.

Ok, serves me right for trying to find a quick link. I haven't used F360 for slicing yet, because I too don't think it's there yet, and I don't see the need for it. That said, I'm fully aware of what an STL file is for. :chunky:

Here's a youtube link that's more appropriate:

For someone just getting started with 3D printing it is good to minimize the learning curves, so using the slicer that is supported by the printer manufacturer and user community for that printer is often the best choice. It will come with configurations for your printer and common filaments. Since I started this a few years ago the slicers have changed tremendously. I started with a Lulzbot printer and they were using a customized version of Cura which was an excellent starting choice. I later needed some features that (Ultimaker now owned) Cura didn't have and bought Simplify 3D which did offer some improvements but was an additional learning curve and cost.

When the Prusa Mark 3 came out it offered many improvements over everything else in the under 3k$ printer world like automatic bed levelling, flexible magnetic bed, nearly silent operation and so on. At that time they recommended Slic3r but I used all three programs with the Prusa. Then Prusa really started putting improvements into their Slic3r and renamed it Prusa Slicer. Cura wasn't standing still either, with Ultimaker driving it forward. Ultimately what slicer you use may be driven by convenience or by some feature you need, but Prusa Slicer and Cura have evolved tremendously over the last several years while S3D has failed to deliver some promised major upgrades. At this point I haven't used Cura or S3D for quite awhile as Prusa Slicer has done the job well, and they keep adding new useful features.

The Mark 3's have been getting updates too and mine has been a real workhorse with thousands of prints made. Buying a Prusa Mark 3S+ as a kit is a good plan, it saves a few dollars but more importantly you get familiar with how it goes together which is useful for upgrades and maintenance. They have recently upgraded it to Misumi linear bearings and a new temperature independent magnetic bed sensor. They keep their motion accuracy for a very long time. You can save money with other printers but most of them use rubber wheels in extrusion V slots which isn't quite the same. I'm building a RailCore which has some advantages but the Prusa will continue to be the workhorse while the RailCore is more of the Ferrari of the fleet.

I use 3D printing to make a lot of things for the mill and lathe from tools to workholding to prototypes and parts that work with the machined components. I've even replaced some metal parts with plastic and for modest production the 3D printer really shines. It also solves a lot of wife-appreciated problems from custom shower hooks to napkin rings and Christmas ornaments and cute little creatures as needed.

Happy Printing!

Last edited:
I got into 3D printing 5-6 years ago with a Velleman K8200 kit that Microcenter was closing out at $250. It has been heavily modified with a new extruder, E3D hotend, bed leveling, 24 volt heat bed, and 32 bit controller with Marlin 2.0.6. When it prints well it prints well. When it doesn't it REALLY doesn't.

I recently bought a Prusa i3 Mk3s+ kit. Put it together, ran the self test / calibration, and started printing. Night and day difference!

Now I use the Prusa for all my 3D printing but will continue to modify the K8200 because that is what a hobbyist does. Next on the list is dual extruders.

Ordered my first printer, a CR-6 SE from Tiny Machines. I figured that them doing the check out and mods would help out a first timer, will see. Really great communication from them, informing me weekly about the units process. Can't wait to try this thing out.

Another one heads down the rabbit hole........

I also got on the 3D Printer bandwagon a few months ago: Prusa i3 MK3. Its my first 3D printer and seemed to be best value: most complete/turn-key with good support & community. The Creality Ender printers were also on my short list.

I've been really happy with it - there's no end to little odds 'n ends you can make which compliment the hobby. I made a couple of centering plugs for the Edge Technology chuck stop to fit my lathe chucks more precisely, misc clips/brackets, QC toolholder-holders, an insert to catch stringy swarf so it doesn't clog halfway up the shop vac hose, etc...

I think that you need to determine why you are interested in 3D printing.

If it is to learn a new technology, experiment with a new machine, and make mastering 3D printing your hobby, almost any machine will do.

If it is to make parts for useful applications, get the best (highest rated) printer you can afford. You can't go wrong with the Prusa i3 MK2S+.

I started with learning a new technology, but when I wanted to make useful parts, I ended up "enhancing" my printer. I probably have more money in my Velleman K8000 with all of my upgrades than my Prusa i3 kit cost. The Prusa is far and away the better machine!

Do I regret the purchase of the Velleman? No, it served and still serves the purpose of learning. I do regret not purchasing a better machine sooner. The wasted filament, time, and frustration over failed print jobs outweighs the "fun" of trying to make the Velleman into something that it will never be.

Bringing this thread back to life....

My wife and I are going to buy an The Original Prusa i3 MK3S+ 3D printer, kit form. I have a few questions before I place the order.

I see there are lots on different filaments, I'm thinking of ordering a 1 roll of PLA and 1 of PETG with the printer. The cost per roll $28.49 and the extra shipping is $34.00. Or should I buy the filament somewhere else. Should I even consider anything other than PLA to start with?

Where is a good place to buy filament?

Should I order an extra nozzle?

How about just ordering the spare parts bundle?

Anything else I should know before ordering?

Back