Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

I actually have very little interest in the 3-d printing, I DO however have interest in putting the g-code (via Fusion360) I have been writing/designing for the last year, to test. My wife has some interest, so this will make her happy (she picked it out and I told her I'm footing the bill) If for unknown reasons, this lights my fires, I'll go to the PRUSA....but I'm a metal guy. How about the metal printers, the technology there yet?
So Super Slicer is the way to go? Supposedly the slicer can work with Fusion 360.

Mike have you actually used Simplify 3D or is that just a hearsay statement?
I guess it is like asking the question "Which (insert product type here) is best?" You will always get a range of opinions. IMHO Simplify 3D has been worth every one of the $150 I spent on it. YMMY.
When I started printing, I couldn't figure out Cura very well, and Simplify3D seemed easier to use. Then I started noticing all the things I couldn't do, and admittedly minor annoyances, like it's extremely poor positioning tools. I've moved between quite a few since then and go back to Simplify from time to time to just to compare. Frankly it doesn't for me. I would probably have avoided voicing that opinion if it was just me, but it's pretty much overwhelming from the 3D communities I'm on and administer as well. lt works certainly, but there's far better that are free that's all. Simplify3D has done almost nothing since it was first released, while everyone else is growing in features and useability. You should try some of them out.

Yes I have been making parts with my Tevo Tornado.
I have made tool holders for the lathe, some parts for my RC airplanes, And a lot of little parts to fix various broken things around the house.
So far I have made very few mods to it. I have a project coming up that will be 6 big prints taking about 2 days each. I am just waiting for the spool of neon orange PETG to appear in my mail box.

I've used Simplify3d for several years and really like it. However, MikeWi is right, it's falling behind. They've been working on a major update, v5 or something like that, while the current version receives only minor updates. Rumor is that the next major release is going to come at a cost even to those of us who've already purchased the previous version.

In any case, I went to Simplify3d years ago because cura was laggy and unresponsive and slic3r was either too basic or ridiculously cluttered in advanced mode. Those issues have been fixed. Simplify3d is still my go-to because all my profiles are there and it just works, but not enough to justify the cost today. 3 years ago...yes, it was worth it. Especially if you needed the manual support features. Today not so much.

I downloaded Creality Slicer and Slic3r. Like I said, Fusion 360 works with printers....but I don't know if its a "slicer" or not. I'm really confused all the programs and what each one does....then there are the .stl files, g-code, .exf I feel overwhelmed Hopefully it makes some sense when I get the printer in 2 days.

The CAD program, such as Fusion 360, generates the geometry and can output put it as an STL file, which is named for stereolithography and represents surfaces as connected triangles. That generic representation allows other programs to take the STL file and work with the shape you have designed.

A slicer (such as Slic3r) is a program that considers how your printer functions and generates commands for it to build the surfaces in an STL file. So for the FDM-type printers we have been discussing, that means starting at the build plate and laying one layer at a time to build up the model. It may also include extra structure in a layer to support what will come later (like columns of a building being created to support an upper floor). The slicer software thus generates slices for the printer to make. Structural aspects of slicing include: how to treat enclosed space (infill), how many solid rings to draw around each perimeter, how many solid layers at the tomb and bottom of surfaces, slice thickness, support as mentioned above, etc.

The slicer also controls how the printer will make the slices: what temperatures to use for the build plate and print head, what speeds to move the axes, how to use the cooling fan, etc.

The slicer outputs GCODE, which is a partially standardized language for giving commands to CNC machines. It is a text file that identifies commands with a “G” and a number, followed by parameters for the command (e.g., move to a certain position at a certain speed) Actually there are other letters too but the G commands are for primary actions. The printer simply steps through the GCODE one line at a time and does what it says.

hth

Last edited:
Guns....
I am not sure how well Fusion will work with 3D printers. As jwmelvin just explained, the slicer literally slices the file and generates the g-code for the printer.
Fusion will certainly generate g-code, but not sure if it has any slicing capability. It, however, will certainly generate tool paths for CNC machines and such.
I started my CAD drawing life with Fusion and really fell in love with it, but then I guy I was working for asked me to come up to speed on Solidworks so I have let Fusion sit dormant for 6 or 8 months, and considering how fast the design team makes changes to Fusion, I may have fallen behind on its capabilities. I use Solidworks for my drawings and export (save) the file as an STL. I then bring the STL file into PrusaSlicer or Cura to have it processed and then exported as G-code to the printer.
3D printing and CAD drawing are, in my opinion, one of the biggest rabbit holes you could possibly jump into. The learning curve can initially be steep, especially if one is trying to learn CAD concurrently. I started in Fusion where I initially struggled and then switched to Solidworks and thanks to my friend I was able to make significant progress. Once the foundation of CAD design is developed, then it becomes more a matter of just learning the commands specific to the program.
I am also seriously considering an SLA printer. The Peopoly is one of them https://peopoly.net/ Along with the Elegoo Saturn and the Prusa SLA1, but the Prusa build volume is rather small. If it was larger, I would have one on order.
Stupid rabbits...

Fusion has a post processing module for CNC material removal machines but it is not a slicer. I use F360 and like it quite a bit. I’ve come across some situations that trip it up but mostly is has been great. Especially considering the price.

For me, fused deposition 3D printing is very useful. Something to remember is that you can also use printed components in assemblies strengthened with metal inserts. Also, not every part has to have the strength of machined metal.
01e7e906aa242711e194bbfea973dad0.jpg

78d0cd27ca9a0f72c396d51ad9954600.jpg

Each type of machine has a certain design space. Just like you have to consider fixturing and cutting operations when designing a machined part, you must plan the layering build up for FDM parts. Also, it’s an anisotropic process (hoop strength much higher than interlayer shear), which can push a design one way or another considerably.

@jwmelvin if I understand you correctly, you use a metal printer? (FDM?) I have downloaded 3 slicer programs now, I guess I'd like to continue designing in Fusion and if it made it all the way to the printer, great! I really don't look forward to leaning more programs, but it sounds like the way it will be. FWIW, there are a lot of F360 videos on YT that are (or appear to me) to go all the way to production. It's of little matter, just me computer laziness. Again, this printer is only so I can see g-code and all the stuff I have been learning in the background, to come to fruition.

FDM = Fused Deposition Modeling. That is the standardized term for the type of printer that you are getting that utilizes filament to build the object you are printing.
Metal printing is a whole 'nother animal, which at this point is outside of most folks budgetary range. Of course, you can get filament for an FDM printer that has metal infused in it but you will need a hardened nozzle because it will abrade a standard nozzle fairly quickly. Same goes for carbon fiber infused filament.

Back