Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

I am not sure how well Fusion will work with 3D printers.

On the contrary, Fusion-360 is the only CAD tool I use to generate items for my 3D-printer.

When the model is done in Fusion I select Print -> 3D-Printer, it generates the .stl file that loads into Cura (slicer) that came with my printer (Lulzbot Taz-6). In fact, I have it configured to automatically start Cura and transfer the file. So it is much like printing to paper from any PC application, but with Cura replacing the printer dialog pop-up box (where you would select paper size, 2-sided printing, etc.)
Cura generates the g-code and sends it directly to the printer (if USB cabled) or I put it on an SD card (to make the printer stand-alone or remote from the PC).

-brino

^^^Brino^^^

Maybe I was not clear in my explanation. I am fully aware that Fusion can be utilized for generating STL files. Most CAD programs have that capability. My point was Fusion does not have a slicer program built into it. It does have a G-code generator, but when you export a file via STL that G-code generator is not used.
Fusion utilizes a baked in G-code generator which used to be HSM. They purchased HSM quite some time ago and integrated it into the Fusion program, thus making g-code generation essentially seamless. Solidworks also can generate G-code, but ironically it needs an add-on, which is HSM to do so.
So in order to be more clear.... Fusion 360 CAD to STL to Slicer (to generate g-code) to printer either via card or LAN to print.

I downloaded Creality Slicer and Slic3r. Like I said, Fusion 360 works with printers....but I don't know if its a "slicer" or not. I'm really confused all the programs and what each one does....then there are the .stl files, g-code, .exf I feel overwhelmed Hopefully it makes some sense when I get the printer in 2 days.
Stick with Cura or Slic3r for your slicer. If you are using a Prusa printer, PrusaSlicer (aka Slic3r PE) is also an option. I'd steer clear of Creality's slicer (probably based off an older version of somebody elses, but that's just speculation on my part) and didn't know Fusion360 had a slicer.

Simplify3d isn't currently worth the price (it was at one time, just not now), but when they drop their rumored major release perhaps it will be again........hard to say though since the free options are moving quite rapidly.

The Prusa MK3s is essentially good to go out of the box (once built.....yes get the kit), but at double the cost of an ender 3 Pro with some simple mods (BL Touch, all metal hot end, polypro build plate, 3d printed upgrades). As I said many posts ago, If you want a printer to just print and don't want to mess with it, get the MK3s, if however you intend to upgrade the printer and tweak it, save some money and get the Ender 3 Pro.

Eventually you will end up in the same place with either................................a second or even third printer that does things the other one can't. ;)

You are confirming the impression I had. The last thing I need is another machine where I spend more time working on the machine instead of making stuff. When I just had my Sherline lathe and mill I actually made stuff, since I got some vintage machines I spend most of my time working for the machines. :grin:

As far as my question on the 0.05mm I was mixing my units of measure. I would like be able to print around 0.01" which is 1/4" in 1/25 scale. 0.25mm (or even 0.3mm) should work. Perhaps not scale perfection but many of the fine details are more about impressions than perfection. 12 cooling fins rather than 16 or 18 on the full size is one of those details that only the most obsessive would notice.

I recently got a 3D printer (late May). I got a CR-10S. The pandemic buying had crazy lead/delivery times on almost everything including the Prusa. I bought what was available locally. I had resisted getting one for years as I couldn't really justify one, i.e., "what do I want to make?".

Need #1: In January my Precision Matthews lathe had an issue with the threading dial and due to the pandemic issues, they were never able to source a replacement part or cost of a replacement assembly. Cost unknown. Delivery unknown.

Need #2: In April, a friend contacted me about prototyping a scupper part for a kayak. Sounded like a Fusion360 learning challenge.

Miscellaneous stuff to be made.

I designed the proto in Fusion 360 and resisting the urge to buy a printer, I sent it out to a printing service. The service completely dropped the ball and the order went unfulfilled. I finally decided to take the leap. I don't regret the decision. I have since iterated the prototype a dozen times, refining each step. Something I couldn't have done via a service. For my lathe, I designed a worm gear and repaired my PM lathe. Lathe is now working. (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/general-home-machine-shop-discussions.460/post-thread)

My advice:
If you know Fusion, you can design whatever you want or need. Generate the STL file and send it to the slicer program. However, not everything needs to be designed by you. thingiverse.com is an excellent source of free STL files that are print ready. No need to CAD something up. You can get test prints, calibration prints, mods to your printer, and general parts that may be of interest. You can spend a lot of time looking at thingiverse finding lots of things to print.

Slicer software:
I downloaded a free version of Cura from Ultimaker. It is very powerful and has done everything that i need for free. Simplify is supposed to be good but so far I haven't needed it and don't want to spend the money.

Printer and support:
I have found multiple Facebook pages directed towards the Creality machines. Lots of knowledge and help available. Problem solving on stock machines. What mods are worthwhile or not. I have done several mods on my CR-10s and am happy with my $410 purchase. Prusa's are supposed to be great but it depends on your budget and timeframe.

I also suggest looking at all3dp.com for good info.

Lots to learn but there's a lot of help available.

good luck

Fusion360 Absolutely can be used for slicing STL files for printing, just like Cura and the rest. That said, it's pretty new, and not too many people on my discord are fans yet. I'm sure it will get better with age, but I'll stick with my usual, and use Fusion for design. :)

Fusion360 Absolutely can be used for slicing STL files for printing, just like Cura and the rest. That said, it's pretty new, and not too many people on my discord are fans yet. I'm sure it will get better with age, but I'll stick with my usual, and use Fusion for design. :)
Funny, I just had Fusion open and was poking around on there a little bit; designing up something quick that I was working on using Solidworks. I really haven't used Fusion since they changed the UI.
Is the slicer and add on? I see that there was a slicer "app" for it, but not for 3D printing. I did not look into this very far though just because I was looking at the new UI more than anything.

There looks to be a pretty kick butt calibration project in F360 under samples/additives. Hopefully I can try it out tomorrow, Soon I'm hoping a lot of this stuff starts making sense. Thanks for all of your patience.

Funny, I just had Fusion open and was poking around on there a little bit; designing up something quick that I was working on using Solidworks. I really haven't used Fusion since they changed the UI.
Is the slicer and add on? I see that there was a slicer "app" for it, but not for 3D printing. I did not look into this very far though just because I was looking at the new UI more than anything.
from https://www.sculpteo.com/en/prepare...-your-file-laser-cutting/slice-your-3d-model/

Export your file to “Slicer for Fusion 360” Once you get the final shape of you 3D model, go to “MAKE” and select “Slicer for Fusion 360”, as indicated by the arrows in the following picture. Then, a box will appear, asking you to select the items that you want to export to the “Slicer for Fusion 360” software.

Back