Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

Join the club, I've been following 3D printers for 10 years and the only thing them getting cheaper has done is make what I don't know more obvious as it becomes more of a reality that I could actually get one.

The two I keep looking at are the Ender 3 (cheap) and Prusa Mk3 (not cheap but supposedly very user friendly). I figure if I wait long enough a 3rd go to printer for noobs will be released and make the choice that much more difficult for me. :grin:
If you never intend to modify the printer, get the prusa. If however you like to live on the bleeding edge and tweak everything, get the ender 3 pro. When you're done changing everything on it out, you'll have spent about what a stock prusa would cost, maybe a bit less and have a great printer that you know inside out.

Also, keep in mind, everyone will be moving to 32bit so you'll have to either do a board upgrade or get a new printer eventually. This is probably still a year or maybe two out but the writing is on the wall. Plenty of aftermarket 32bit options out there for both the mk3s and the ender3 pro, but upgrading the mk3s will take you out of prusas well manicured ecosystem.

I'm with you Aaron, but I feel like waiting for the better /easier version is like chasing the wind. This has got to be a daily occurrence in that field. Maybe it's time to rip off that band aid. Also, I have been running Fusion360 for a little over a year and have no practical purpose for it...maybe this?

Figured I'd jump in with my personal experience. I have (currently) six printers and they run 18-ish hours a day. I've owned many Creality machines but over the years have evolved my production to solely Prusa MK3's. Not only are they user friendly, but they're almost bulletproof. Their support is 8/10 as well. I have nothing bad to say about Creality or their products, but I'd put them in the tinkerer's category; you'll likely want to make upgrades very quickly. To that end, there is a vibrant community for support and no shortage of people selling upgrades.

There was some mention of the new Prusa Mini... I purchased two of these and ended up sending them back. They were not (are not yet) reliable enough for me to put them in my print farm. Specifically, they have filament feed issues and the sensors are spotty. I need to be able to run at least 3-coils through a machine without failed prints... and they couldn't get close.

If you're wanting to say below $400, i'd definitely pick a flavor of Creality. If you have the budget, I'd recommend a Prusa.

^^^Wow^^^ That is pretty cool Chipsky. I have the Mark 2 that I upgraded to a 2.5s and as you mentioned, it just runs. Period. I would like to get a Mk3 because of the 24volt system they run on. My buddy has one and it is sooooo quiet.

Thanks for chiming in. I would love to ask what you print in your print farm but that might be proprietary info.

Some of it is proprietary, as I do job-work for local companies, but I also do scale work for my hobbies that turned into a side hustle. The hobby work is for 14th scale radio control construction equipment and 24/25th scale dioramas. I do some 10th scale, but not as much because it's a cut-throat market. In addition to the filament, I also have three SLA printers for doing resin work.

Agreed. I don't have MK2's anymore, but remember the sound... the MK3's are whisper quiet as long as they're maintained well.

Thanks for the reply. I have considered getting an SLA for my hobby also and maybe turn it into a little side gig if possible. I fly large RC aircraft and helicopters and there soooooo much one can do with a 3D printer. Instrument panels and such are sought after. I was actually thinking last night that if I had a SLA printer I could make a custom floor for my AS350 helicopter. So much to do, so little time.

So you are recommending PRUSA MK3? Price isn’t a big concern, like to keep it below $800 if possible.

So you are recommending PRUSA MK3? Price isn’t a big concern, like to keep it below $800 if possible.

That would be my recommendation for someone who wants to get into printing with minimal tinkering/upgrades later on. Like I mentioned, the Creatlity machines and some others have great followings and are solid machines, but more than likely they'll also be one of your ongoing projects.

Either way, I would recommend getting a kit, just so you learn about the machine.

Chipsky beat me to it. Get the kit. It is fun to put together and Prusa's documentation is superb. You will better understand your printer too.
BTW, I do almost all of my printing with PETG. The last order I made with Prusa I got some of their orange and a dark metallic red.
Also, to get you started with some ideas I made some table slot covers for my mill, a switch bracket for a light on my mill, tool holder holders that snap onto my lathe backsplash and many, many other useful items for the shop. Even printed an orange Kubota keychain for the key in my tractor. I think I pulled that one off of Thingverse. Everything else I draw up in Solidworks.

Back