Looking to get a 3D printer soon.

I agree... very cool. The construction equipment is all hydraulic these days, which makes it expensive, but what hobby isnt? I make parts for these as well. It's a niche, but I make things for myself and sell to others if they see and want.

2019-11-04 18.05.35.jpg

Totally hijacking this thread but one more post from me.....
The 4 blade Bell 429 is well over 20lbs. 7 minutes of flight time or so. 5.5 ft or so rotor span.

Attachments

• client_PART_1499136369694_output.jpg
    client_PART_1499136369694_output.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 163
  • client_PART_1500140793649_20170715_104340.jpg
    client_PART_1500140793649_20170715_104340.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 163
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about the chess pieces...I just see that layered look a lot of printed things on the internet. That dumpster is an excellent finish. Is that doable by any normal, off the shelf equipment I would buy?

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about the chess pieces...I just see that layered look a lot of printed things on the internet. That dumpster is an excellent finish. Is that doable by any normal, off the shelf equipment I would buy?
I would say its definitely possible with a decent machine but may take some fine tuning in your slicer.

There are many factors that go into a print. The dumpster was printed at a .2 layer height. That is .2mm, not inches of course. Everything in the printer world is metric. Not sure if Chipskey used a .25 or a .4 nozzle. .4mm nozzle is "standard" but I have smaller ones too. I have done printing with .25 and .3mm nozzles. It slows down the print speed and increases print time but usually increases print quality. I say usually because there are many factors that go into a print including layer height, travel speed, retraction speed, and print temp just to name a few. Do not let that overwhelm you though. Like anything it does take some time and some practice.
One interesting thing about having a quality 3D printer is once the first couple of layers are down, it is pretty much leave it until it is done printing. The first layers are critical to a print though. That can take a little bit of messing with initially but again, once you know what you are looking for in that first couple of layers, it will become second nature. Once the first layers are down, very rarely have I ever come back to find the print messed up.

There are many factors that go into a print. The dumpster was printed at a .2 layer height. That is .2mm, not inches of course. Everything in the printer world is metric. Not sure if Chipskey used a .25 or a .4 nozzle. .4mm nozzle is "standard" but I have smaller ones too.

For my production work, its typically standard 0.4 nozzle and layer heights between 0.1mm and 0.2mm (varies by piece and scale). I will add that my printer profiles are very much tailored to the print and my design files are specific to the limits of the machine.

I would say its definitely possible with a decent machine but may take some fine tuning in your slicer.
Slicer is the software the printer uses if I'm not mistaken? I brought my wife into the purchase process and she "found a great deal" on Amazon...Creality Ender 5 Pro 3D upgrade v1.15. Iknow that name has been dropped a more than a few times on HM, so I was okay with it. Half what I planned to spend. I'll get my feet wet, honestly I want somewhere to put all the Fusion 360 projects I've been doing for the last year. I would like to move more into the CAM now that my feet are wet in the CAD.

Slicer is the software the printer uses if I'm not mistaken? I brought my wife into the purchase process and she "found a great deal" on Amazon...Creality Ender 5 Pro 3D upgrade v1.15. Iknow that name has been dropped a more than a few times on HM, so I was okay with it. Half what I planned to spend. I'll get my feet wet, honestly I want somewhere to put all the Fusion 360 projects I've been doing for the last year. I would like to move more into the CAM now that my feet are wet in the CAD.

Yes, the slicer creates the GCode your printer will use. You load in your design file (STL, etc.) and depending on your layer height "slices" your model so the printer can build it. This is a super simplified explanation of what is happening. While most printer manufacturers and slicers have defaults that will give you decent prints, as you gain experience, you'll tweak these for the machine, filament type, environmental conditions, etc.

Back