Lost my home and shop, need hobby outlet

If I can’t build a shop, the basement will be fine for a shop with a few exceptions.
There is something I have always wondered about watching videos about guys machining in their basement.
Lubricating oils smell. Doesn’t that create a problem?
There is a small well built out building that has a concrete pad and is sealed off to the weather. It could be used for grinding room or I could put a lathe and mill in there.
The thing about the location is everything sells within a week.
I really don’t think we could get hurt buying it.
Like my Granny use to say, “just let the rose unfold honey”.

A few memories of our park like yard.
Shop and tools.
I am sharing my story because I am told it helps the healing process.
I hope you don’t mind.
Every day is a bit better.
Those first few nights, waking up and realizing the nightmare is a reality.1E634114-9C31-4F61-91D5-51666B5700B9.jpeg802A5F27-9CB8-4864-A187-31561360C3B0.jpegE5C8DD6C-A464-4C4D-81F6-4C5CE09D66F5.jpegB5C86515-0FED-4D51-A0E3-163484F85765.jpeg72C9A482-72A4-46B8-ADB9-FA3E4F36BE05.jpegF441362B-5770-4D82-98AC-7EE92CB28260.jpeg8A5DFBFB-0481-4E40-A9B7-30716053919B.jpeg4C1449D4-A6A7-4526-973C-EDDC8B4C3399.jpegCBCF315E-E846-4E9E-98AB-080AD798713B.jpegA2E567C4-94A7-46D6-BC0C-26AB9333CD28.jpeg9B9F4AA4-A5E6-482A-A1E7-07E3D854A04B.jpeg

1. You're alive.

2. It's just stuff.

3. You're alive.

4. You may have LIKED that stuff, but it's still just stuff.

5. You're alive.

6. You've got a plan in progress to move on. Keep moving on.

7. You're alive.

8. As much as you loved how your shop was setup and laid out, as you think about it, there were probably things you'd have liked to change or setup differently. You have that chance now.

9. You're alive.

10. Damn shame about the truck, but at least it wasn't a Chevy.

;-)

For perspective, I sat offshore watching the city of Misratah get the hell blown out of it for 5 months in 2011 - that was...interesting...nothing like having folks on the upper decks on the sat phone talking with people ashore, seeing an artillery strike concurrent with the phone-call getting cut off...we didn't speak to that person ashore ever again.

You're alive, you are in the process of rebuilding, reimagining what you can do.

Insurance will never bring back what's been lost, but it can get you on the path to finding something new, and you're doing that right I think.

NS

Jeff, I am in awe! I would be rolled up in a ball, paralyzed and catatonic. You are an inspiration to all of us and a true testament to the strength of the human spirit. I hope the rose unfolds quickly and in a pleasing and satisfactory manner. Again, if I can be of help in any way.....

It’s been over a week, the fire is 55% contained. The forecast is rain mid-week.
Yesterday was shopping day for stuff. Everywhere we went there were people, evacuees sitting on curbs, leaning against cars, living in tents and all kinds of homes on wheels. Walmart is one big camp.
My wife and I are so fortunate to have a nice apartment.
We went to see our elderly neighbor. She is living in an Oxford Suites with her dog.
Going down the hall to find her room there were signs on doors, “knock first, we have cats”, do not open- no housekeeping, we have dogs”.
She spends her day in a room watching TV. Her meals are the hotel chain free breakfast, Yuchi’s.
She is well insured and loves Paradise, she wants to rebuild. She is 84, how long will she have to live like that?
We heard from everybody we knew, they all got out except one.
The “missing” list is over 1,000 and climbing.
We fear for the elderly that could not get out.
Thanks for listening.

I truly wish you were close to me. I'd give you 24/7 access to my shop.

I can't even begin to understand what you are going through. All I can say is I'm glad you and your family are safe.

Good luck.

Jeff, I hope things are going as well as they can for you and your family. I recently found out that a childhood friend had gotten re-married and bought his first home in Paradise earlier this year. They also lost everything and now living with his brother in Chico. Tough deal.

Unfortunately it will be a long road to recovery for Paradise. I do construction consulting work for the insurance industry and we are currently working on cases from the Butte fire in Amador County from 2015.

We are doing OK. We have just found out we missed out on a nice home we over bid on.
It is going to be a time of critical housing shortages, profit taking by landlords and people selling their homes asking 20-30% over value and getting it.
I'm looking to rent shop space. Yes, I have space available but it's not convenient. It would be a weekend shop away from my wife.
Not a great situation for sure.
We have a comfortable apartment that is paid by our insurance company.

Yup lots of houses going up for sale around here, I’m sure the prices are above normal for what they should be.

Back