Low Cost DRO's from Igaging

David, my DRO arrived yesterday. All I need to do now is decide how I want to mount it.

Thanks,

Paul

Do you carry a full product line of both brands? If so, I have perused the two websites and have a pretty clear idea. One question I do have is: Does the direct read quill type scale that says vertical or horizontal allow the readout to be turned 90*? Igaging model 35 606 for example. Thanks

good questios. first, I have all of both product lines available to me. I am stocking the dro's, 6" digital protractor, 12" dial caliper and the igaging angle cube.

other items would need to be incorporated with a stocking order. the have minimum dollar ordering quantity and shipping costs to me must be considered with all my purchases.

in other words, if you wanted something I don't have, you would need to wait until I order another load of dros. might be a week, might be longer but I'd be happy to do it for you.

to answer your question, the 35-606 has a fixed display head and cannot be rotated.

thanks for your interest.

FACEBOOK: my old up-bringing fought tooth and nail over the issue of belonging to that site. I got on it years back, and totally got my paranoid butt off of it, completely erasing all my information. . . . .

a year or so later, I had a different thought about it. . .

those that want to find you and want to know about you can easily do it. . .. the government already knows everything about everybody too.

my wife told me to get with the 21st century and quit being so stogy. . . she also said I was missing out on a lot of contact with my kids, grand kids, and great grand kids. . . .

I told her I didn't give a rats a** and if they wanted to contact me I had a phone and a mail box.

well, guess what ? the phone does not ring, nor does the mail box ever get visited with cards or quick notes from them.

this is an electronic age. so I got with the program.

hi-test computer, ipad, ipod, and a dam iphone that I can barely see the tiny screen. . .but you always know where you are. . .

so what im trying to say is "these times are way beyond the age of Aquarius" don't get left behind.

hence end of lesson, chipmunk :)

Re: igaging and accuremote dro's

There's a fellow that has built a full featured DRO using the IGaging scales along with an Arduino and an Android tablet. I've bought all the stuff to put one together for an Atlas mill, but I havn't had a chance to put it on yet. The code is available free, and he has step by step instructions on his website. It looks pretty neat, I can speak more for it after I get mine going :). Heres the link:

http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html

I have built the Yuriy's project and set it up on my sherline. I used david's igaging scales and it works great. i have it off while i place the project in a protective box.

if you build yuri's arduino project, be certain to use the arduino R3 Uno and the Arduino Proto shield to follow easily. i have the arduino and also have sainsmart arduino and there are differences, so mixing and matching would be a challenge, doable, but a challenge.

my next step is cnc.

good questios. first, I have all of both product lines available to me. I am stocking the dro's, 6" digital protractor, 12" dial caliper and the igaging angle cube.

other items would need to be incorporated with a stocking order. the have minimum dollar ordering quantity and shipping costs to me must be considered with all my purchases.

in other words, if you wanted something I don't have, you would need to wait until I order another load of dros. might be a week, might be longer but I'd be happy to do it for you.

to answer your question, the 35-606 has a fixed display head and cannot be rotated.

thanks for your interest.
I wonder why they say this unit is good both vertical and horizontal. The ones I have are regular old display reading ones and they don't appear to care if mounted upsidedown and backwards. Vert or horizontal or anywhere in between. I'm considering mounting one on top of my tailstock and want the display to read like a caliper. I'm thinking a modified caliper is the way to go for both travel and orientation. I will pm if I do it and see where you are at for an order. Thanks.

Hi David,

I sent you a PM regarding the Accuremote DRO's. Thank You,

-30cal

lee, I think I did not make my reply to you as clear as I should have. the horiz / vertical installation is correct but the head is just like a caliper in that if its on a quill, it will look the same as if its laying on a table. does that make more sense ?

I wonder why they say this unit is good both vertical and horizontal. The ones I have are regular old display reading ones and they don't appear to care if mounted upsidedown and backwards. Vert or horizontal or anywhere in between. I'm considering mounting one on top of my tailstock and want the display to read like a caliper. I'm thinking a modified caliper is the way to go for both travel and orientation. I will pm if I do it and see where you are at for an order. Thanks.

Re: igaging and accuremote dro's

I can tell you for a fact that the Igaging read-outs I got from David do not power down. I forgot to turn mine off and they were still on 24 hours later.

Mine do not power down either. I've left them on several times. On the up-side, they take the nice (cheap) 2032 coin cell batteries they sell at Harbor Freight. I mounted a set on my mill/drill, and so far I like them.

I may opt for a set of the Accuremotes for my lathe.

GG

the Accuremote Remote Reading dro's are no longer available from the factory. I do have a few 6" remote reading ones. the new model that has been introduced is called the Absolute. so far they have been nearly impossible to get any quanity of them. Accuremote will still offer the Direct Reading Quill Mount I believe. I also have a bunch of those.

the new model "Absolute" has a tighter accuracy tolerance and of course that comes with a higher price tag. as much as 2-1/2 times more than the iGaging ones.

The ABSolute from iGaging is listed on their home page but not linked to an information or pricing.

I wonder how long it will be before Mitutoyo claims 'confusion' of the name with their Absolute Digimatic line of measuring devices.

And if the price has actually increased as much as you mentioned they will be competing with the imported glass scale prices. Still considerably smaller and not requiring a quadrature compatible DRO display but that may not prove to be a competitive edge.

Back