Machine Screw assortments

Over the years I've found trying to buy bolt "assortments" is a losing proposition. I gave up on the idea back in the 1970's and started buying them in bulk from either the local farm store or McMaster. I keep hex head sizes from #4 to 1" in stock. I usually have multiple lengths by 1/4" and hardness of #2, #5, and #8 from 1/4" to 1/2" diameter.

I also have the more common lengths of socket head bolts from 1/4" to 3/4" in diameter. Button head and other specialty fasteners are usually bought as needed by the box from McMaster. I store the specialty fasteners and socket head bolts in Plano storage boxes similar to this:

As an FYI there have been times when I've had to cut bolts to length. However, I avoid it whenever possible. In many cases the unprotected ends of the bolts start to rust diminishing the appearance of the project.

The hex head bolts are stored in the drawered cabinet on this bench.

Attachments

• DSCF8044A.jpg
    DSCF8044A.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 18
I decided long ago to standarize all my builds on metric. It simplifies so many things including tap drill selection. Easy enough to substitute these into designs I build from inferial plans/drawings.
I buy either 100/box locally from distributors such as BDI Express or KBC Tools. Or I buy 25/50 pieces at a time from AliExpress for the 2-5mm ones. SHCS, button head, ctr sunk. Anything up to M5 I buy a short and a long, then use a threaded plate with HSS punch to shorten if needed.
For very high quality small stuff I buy from https://www.kingmicroschroeven.nl/. Web site is in Dutch (IMO everyone should learn this awesome language :) but easily translated using browser and they speak/r/w perfect English. I use these on models or where appearance really matters to me. Even the washers are machined, not stamped.

I stopped buying assortments of anything, including drills. Too many not used, some used too often and then better to buy 5 of those at a time. The only exception is O-rings, the HF assortments have done me well.

Storage is in drawer banks or the wonderful BassPro/Cabelas trays.

Gerrit

I'm not big on assortments either. I usually buy as I need, and pick a few from my junk boxes. 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and 1/4" get used the most
then some 5/16" and 3/8" stuff and a few metric sizes now and then
-Mark

For my birthday when I was 21 or 22 years old, my dad came up for a visit. He had found a 144-compartment bolt bin, and stopped at blue collar supply in Sacramento for two 5-gal buckets worth of by-the-pound fasteners. He set me up with 1/4-1/2, grade 5 coarse and grade 8 fine bolts in 1/4" increments up to 3". Also flat washers, lock washers, and nuts. I've never had to drop what I was doing to buy anything in that range, which is a lot!

Nowadays, I use a lot of metric and stainless. Those, I just order for the job by planning ahead, and since I'm the boss, I get to keep what's left, so I have a little inventory there, too.

Then there's flanged bolts, and locknuts, and socket head cap screws, and 12-points, and security washers, and wire gauge screws, and on and on... Plus you gotta separate the far east butter from the 'merrican steel. It becomes a lot to keep up with!

RTL Fasteners and Micro Fasteners are my favorites for small fasteners. I build and fly RC airplanes and keep a good stock of #2 to #10 mostly socket head capscrews on hand. When in doubt, I buy longer and can always shorten them if necessary. I also keep 1/4”-1/2” on hand but in smaller quantities since they’re available locally. Tractor Supply sells hardware grade, grade 5 and grade 8 by the pound.

I find scrounging for the correct fastener really breaks the rhythm of getting something done. Closest decent fastener place is about 15 minutes away. With the price of gas, time, aggravation, etc, for me it makes sense to keep the basics on hand.

Attachments

• 4CB5E621-26AB-47DA-A58C-CFA5BC47F5D2.jpeg
    4CB5E621-26AB-47DA-A58C-CFA5BC47F5D2.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 26A83B6A-0364-4852-A389-E0A574D513C4.jpeg
    26A83B6A-0364-4852-A389-E0A574D513C4.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 14
We have a distributor in town that supplies the box stores.

8/32 screws are sometimes 3 bucks per hundred.

Post covid some went up.

We will but a hundred or so of the ize we need and near sizes.

We now have a great assortment of 8/32, we use them for many small things.

Avoid the box stores.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I go to the local John Deere dealer. They have, grade 5, john Deere green and grade 8.
They sell by the pound.
I’ll just grab handfuls of all the basic sizes, bolts- 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, washers, locks and nuts.
I usually walk out of there with a large bag of hardware for less than $25.
Ace hardware would be over $400.
I always seem to run out of 1/4-20 washers and bolts.

I'm lucky to have two local shops that sell bulk bolts for $1.75 lb for grade 5 and $3 lb for grade 8. Not a ton of grade 8 available but I buy what I can when it's available. I'd go in and grab a small handful of each length of whatever size I was focusing on that trip. I have a pretty decent size stock of bolts, cap screws, button head, flat head, and some low head cap screws. I also have a lot of bolts I bought at the flea market. Most of my stainless and grade 8 bolts were bought that way.

The biggest issue is storage. If you cannot lay hands on a particular type, size, and length of screw or bolt within a few seconds your organization isn't very good. I started with making a bin shelf under my work benches. Then I was given small tough ziplock bags so I started sorting by type and length. Each bin was filled with baggies that are relatively easy to sort through.

Recently I bought 4 large flat organizers I put my button, flat, pan, low cap, and shoulder bolts in with an organizer for 4 different sizes. 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-16, and 8mm with another smaller organizer for 6mm.

If I own a bolt I can lay hands on it within 10 seconds or less. If I don't have it I'll be able to say in the same time frame.20220618_151241.jpg

20220618_151255.jpg

20220618_151258.jpg

20220618_151303.jpg

20220618_151313.jpg

20220618_151353.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some nice organizers, guys. I used to work at hospitals and found that they sometimes have trouble disposing their stuff. I checked with maintenance buddies and they were glad to have things "disposed" my way FOR FREE! These medicine cabinets of which I have two of the shorter ones, each hold 48 drawers about 2 x 3.5 x 12" long with dovetailed partitions and the drawers are the same as the larger unit in plastic cubes. These cabinets cost the hospital about $4,000 each new and they can use them for only about 5 years. So if you have any buddies at medical facilities, check in with them for some cheap stuff.
temp.JPG
temp2.JPG

DanK

Back