[How do I?] Machining Pulley

Yes still needs center bore (its actually on an idler I found out). He doesn't want the hole to go thru so it can only be made blind on the inside. He pulled the idler assembly from the motor so I can check fit and directly compare measurements. I'm more worried at this point about keeping the mating inside surface perpendicular to axis and a flat surface. Putting it on a mandrel would for sure help with perpendicularity. That would have to be a fairly beefy thing.

Putting the holes in gets a little trickier too now. I was going to clamp the thing to the bed of my mill, indicate the bore and run a quick hole drill program. Now that will be a major deal too.

Assuming I pull this off, I will either feel very lucky or one step closer to being a real machinist. I think I will budget in some new underwear too, just to be safe.

when I cap my jaws I just use pieces of thin alum sheet bent over the jaws so they don't mar any surface. the inside does matter, no where should a finished part have evidence of work holding, its tacky. any way you can hold your lathe chuck on your mill table? friend of mine has a fixture with a Bison 3jaw that bolts to his mill table, not a rotary or anything just a machined plate that keeps the chuck parallel with the table. its quite a nice fixture. you could always just use strap clamps to hold the chuck down to the table while its holds the pulley, again with jaw caps.... you should be able to indicate the profile no problem

I was curious about the lathe because I was wondering what depth of cut your gonna be able to take while roughing, ive made pulleys as well, turning from 4inch od to a 1inch hub.... took a little awhile on my atlas
I would rough the pilot boss with an endmill as well, but don't get greedy with trying to get too close the final OD of the boss, ive done that and had it pack with chips and cut a taper in the bore that was .005 under at the start and .007 over at the bottom of the hole, ruined that part, already had hours into turning that alloy steel, I was pist, so the new part I used an EM that was around .050 under size

Back