[How do I?] Machining Pulley

I have purchased from Stoner as well. Good price and fast shipment. My wife looked at me in an accusing manner when she picked up the package that UPS had left on the doorstep. Something from Stoner in Colorado....

LOL
Mine did the same thing one day, it was right after Colorado announced they were legalizing the sale of Marijuana.

Not wishing to discourage someone from building when you can buy but have you checked to see if there is an OEM or aftermarket adapter that will work? I seem to recall that the way that the auto manufacturers handled this was to make a second pulley that nested inside of the primary pulley which provided for belt driven accessories.

Or, simply buy a longer belt and run things off a single belt. Ford did this in the 90's. You would have 2 different serpentine belt lengths listed for one vehicle, depending upon the presence of A/C.

I was gonna mention the inserts, what inserts are you thinking of getting? is it an insert that cuts all the grooves at once? if so, what lathe do you have? rigidity may become an issue with one of them inserts, I don't have experience with it directly but you may want to have a backup plan ready just in case it chatters like a mother, and at that point you have too much work into it to stop, so a nicely ground single point could save the day
I got their notch type holder with single point insert. Plenty of other standard threading and grooving insert that I can use in the same holder.
upload_2015-11-11_5-18-14.png

There is a specific look he is going for. He added a new twist, doesn't want the bore to be a through hole.
upload_2015-11-11_5-29-44.png
upload_2015-11-11_5-32-4.png
I recommended he get a price from a machine shop that has a cnc lathe too.

I have a couple of those holders that fit my mini-lathe. I have both left and right holders. I use them for threading and grooving.

Good setup on the tool, I know i have to be leary of form tools so I thought it worth mentioning. Good luck on the project

Good setup on the tool, I know i have to be leary of form tools so I thought it worth mentioning. Good luck on the project
Thanks. Whether or not my lathe could handle the chaser type tool, I didn't want a single purpose tool for a one (or three) off deal. This way only the insert is dedicated to poly v.

Closing up the hole for the bore seems like the part will be harder to make to me. I'm thinking chuck material in 3 jaw, face, machine all inside and bore. Turn the area that will be the larger pulley to something over (+.02 dia) finished dia. Then Switch to 4 jaw, flip the part, grab the id and indicate center off the oversized pulley area and sneak a dti behind the part to verify the faced surface is true. Then do all the outside turning.

Thats gonna end up being a $400 pulley lol. Isn't the idea of a billet crank pulley to underdrive the accessories to free up a couple ponies from the engine?
I like the design, alot of work, and a huge pile of chips, well strings. You didn't mention the lathe your using, what it be?
Also, I would put some caps on your jaws so you don't dent the surfaces

It still needs a center bore to align it on the water pump's spigot (or whatever) right?
So the center bore is what needs to be concentric with the grooves, he made it a bit of a hassle lol.

I am leaning toward putting it on a spigot for the final turning now.
Rough it out on all sides, remove from chuck to let it find it's shape.
Finish the inside
drill the holes
make a spigot that matches the water pump
Loctite the nose on the spigot to the pulley (not the threads!) and use the screws as well.
Turn the outside and grooves.
remove the screws and face off the end of the pulley
heat to remove

Your going to fill a trashcan with chips. Shame there is no good way to trepan the center out.

Back