[How do I?] Machining Pulley

Dad took the flat belt pulleys off his 9" South Bend Lathe about 45 years ago and cut grooves in them for a J-section Polygroove belt. Went from belt slipping off to stalling out the 1/4 HP motor that was on the lathe!!

Dad took the flat belt pulleys off his 9" South Bend Lathe about 45 years ago and cut grooves in them for a J-section Polygroove belt. Went from belt slipping off to stalling out the 1/4 HP motor that was on the lathe!!

Hmmm. Now you got me thinking about what other things I could use that cutter on.

My local industrial supply carries tool flo so I can get the notch type holder and insert no problem, used the specs and came up with this for version 1
upload_2015-11-8_6-36-42.png
He thought it was too ugly, I agreed, so rev 2
upload_2015-11-8_6-46-49.png
6061 should be good for this? Need to start with 6 1/2" dia material.

6061 will be fine. I just ground a tool from HSS. Looks like about $100 worth of aluminum.

Don't worry about that seller either. Stoner Tool and Raw Materials is one of the best out there, Very fast delivery. I have bought from him many times.

"Billy G"

+1 on Stoner Tools. Good prices and quick delivery.

Tom S

They do have good pricing. I'm definitely going to be checking them out for other projects too. Thanks guys.

I have purchased from Stoner as well. Good price and fast shipment. My wife looked at me in an accusing manner when she picked up the package that UPS had left on the doorstep. Something from Stoner in Colorado....

I was gonna mention the inserts, what inserts are you thinking of getting? is it an insert that cuts all the grooves at once? if so, what lathe do you have? rigidity may become an issue with one of them inserts, I don't have experience with it directly but you may want to have a backup plan ready just in case it chatters like a mother, and at that point you have too much work into it to stop, so a nicely ground single point could save the day

Back