Machinist Kitchen Table

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not your average kitchen table. I started with cast iron legs and gears from an 1860s Putnam metal lathe that was being scrapped. Local White Oak boards used. Extensions are standard unistrut running in ball bearings. Table extends 36” by use of the crank. Acme threaded rod by Keith Rucker. aDSC_2404.JPGaDSC_2393.JPG

aDSC_2400.JPGaDSC_2402.JPGaDSC_2405.JPGaDSC_2403.JPGaIMG_3982.jpg

Video of the table in motion

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Last edited:
That is really nice! Excllent job! excellent.gif

Simply magnificent. The mechanism is really neat.
The re-purposed leg stands are to die for.
Did you have any picts of the original lathe?

(how come I don't luck out and come across an old piece at the scrap yard?)
Not your average kitchen table. I started with cast iron legs and gears from an 1860s Putnam metal lathe that was being scrapped. Local White Oak boards used. Extensions are standard unistrut running in ball bearings. Table extends 36” by use of the crank. Acme threaded rod by Keith Rucker. View attachment 314734View attachment 314730

View attachment 314731View attachment 314732View attachment 314735View attachment 314733View attachment 314736

Video of the table in motion

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

That is beautiful workmanship. I want one, now, but scrapped lathes never really show up around me (I can't spend time at the scrap yard).

That is way cool. I have wood and metal tools. The blend of both, done well and artisticly is always interesting. Nice job.

Back