Made the parts washer jump

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
I took the plunge and bought a Harbor Freight 20 gallon parts washer.

They are rated for water based solution so I spent a lot of time deciding what I wanted to try.

I settled on trying the Krud Kutter parts washer sold at tractor supply. The minimum mixture recommended is 10:1. I decided to start with two gallons KK to 10 gallons of water.

With soaking that should be pretty good but I also filled a quality spray bottle with 50/50 Krud Kutter and water. That will help develop some pressure to get into nooks and crannies...

What are you guys running in your water based parts washers?

20230917_134349.jpg

I've had the same one for years. It has a lot of short comings. The water based stuff is fine, but some of it will eat the paint and the inside will rust. The pump clogs pretty easily once the solution gets a little dirty. And the drain plug is in a horrible spot. I replaced mine with a valve to make it easier to drain.

That being said, I have been working on a boat load of improvements to it. External reservoir that has an immersion heater in it. An inline filter. And sealing the top with weather stripping to help keep any odors out of the garage.

I've had the same one for years. It has a lot of short comings. The water based stuff is fine, but some of it will eat the paint and the inside will rust. The pump clogs pretty easily once the solution gets a little dirty. And the drain plug is in a horrible spot. I replaced mine with a valve to make it easier to drain.

That being said, I have been working on a boat load of improvements to it. External reservoir that has an immersion heater in it. An inline filter. And sealing the top with weather stripping to help keep any odors out of the garage.
I might weather strip mine to avoid evaporation.

The Krud Kutter has rust inhibitors in it so i hope it won't be a huge issue with rust.

My shop is heated so I won't need an immersion heater. The only reason I have it in the shop is the heat.

I might weather strip mine to avoid evaporation.

The Krud Kutter has rust inhibitors in it so i hope it won't be a huge issue with rust.

My shop is heated so I won't need an immersion heater. The only reason I have it in the shop is the heat.
My shop isn't heated (yet) but I keep this in the garage where I have a bit more space (my shop is attached to the back of my garage). And even thought the garage is unheated, it's very well insulated and holds heat, but still gets cold in these Ohio winters.

Yep. I am modifying mine also. I scored a 30 gallon drum so I am going to sit the unit on top of it. I will keep the solvent in the drum and have the whole top part available to use. I picked up this pump that will be down at the bottom of the drum.
pump.jpg
The shelf that comes with the HF unit is pretty light duty and deforms under heavy stuff that needs cleaning.

I would not put my parts washer next to machines like this but I don't have a ton of space in the heated shop. I rarely use the surface grinder. I'll put a towel over it while I clean stuff. I don't clean big stuff often.

The spigot doesn't splash much.

The parts washer took.the place of a space wasting table.

20230917_185741.jpg

I have an immersion heater for my 40gal. The water based cleaner works well enough cold, but is great when heated. Mike
are your guys immersion heater home made using hot water heater elements or something else?

Back