Made the parts washer jump

I wondered about the external reservoir to let the crud accumulate at the bottom, pull from the middle to have cleaner fluid. I think that’s what the safetyclean ones do. And about the filter, especially on the suction side of the pump. Pressure side probably better, but doesn’t catch the debris that would cause pump issues. Also thought about a kidney loop filter - second pump to circulate fluid through a filter independent of the pump for the cleaning nozzle. But that’s really getting into to realm of just buying a better parts washer instead of “fixing” the issues with a cheap one. I do notice that I often don’t run the pump. With juice in the tank, can just dunk parts stem scrub on the shelf. Good idea for reinforcing, will add that to the list of projects.

I wondered about the external reservoir to let the crud accumulate at the bottom, pull from the middle to have cleaner fluid. I think that’s what the safetyclean ones do. And about the filter, especially on the suction side of the pump. Pressure side probably better, but doesn’t catch the debris that would cause pump issues. Also thought about a kidney loop filter - second pump to circulate fluid through a filter independent of the pump for the cleaning nozzle. But that’s really getting into to realm of just buying a better parts washer instead of “fixing” the issues with a cheap one. I do notice that I often don’t run the pump. With juice in the tank, can just dunk parts stem scrub on the shelf. Good idea for reinforcing, will add that to the list of projects.

I decided that I'm not sticking nasty dirty stuff in my parts washer. It's too easy to use a scraper to dislodge chunks of crap and just brush off the residue in the tank. Every once in a while I'll empty the tank and clean it. I don't think I'm worried about getting crazy with it.

I decided that I'm not sticking nasty dirty stuff in my parts washer. It's too easy to use a scraper to dislodge chunks of crap and just brush off the residue in the tank. Every once in a while I'll empty the tank and clean it. I don't think I'm worried about getting crazy with it.
I scrape the worst stuff off, also, but the parts washer still builds up a lot of gunk - I think it's just the nature of the nasty, dirty things I usually buy ...

I am getting close to putting my version of the modified parts washer to use. I have the pump and heater wired in to a couple of switches. I'm debating on what I will use for filters, so none of those so far. The pump was cheap. If it fails, I won't be heartbroken. What I am trying to figure out now is what do I do with the inside of the basin? It's been scratched and rusted from the use of the purple power. It also ate some of the paint. Is there a coating/paint that is affordable that I can apply to the inside of the basin that will hold up to some mild abuse from the parts I band around inside it but most importantly the PSC-1000 I'll be using as a cleaner.

IMG_1122.jpeg

Ironic. I was working on mine today also. I got the pump mounted in the 30 gallon barrel. Next is to plumb everything.

Is there a coating/paint that is affordable that I can apply to the inside of the basin that will hold up to some mild abuse from the parts I band around inside it but most importantly the PSC-1000 I'll be using as a cleaner.

View attachment 461031
That's exactly why I use the Tractor Supply solvent - It doesn't affect paint at all, OR cause any rust issues.
The problem with trying to re-paint that, is that any paint you put on it will just get quickly scraped and abraded off - I mean, it's a parts washer!
That looks a hell of a lot better than the inside of mine - Just Scotch-Brite the rust, if you really want, use the solvent type cleaner, and then just fugeddaboutit.
Save the paint for restored machinery - Just sayin'........

I am getting close to putting my version of the modified parts washer to use. I have the pump and heater wired in to a couple of switches. I'm debating on what I will use for filters, so none of those so far. The pump was cheap. If it fails, I won't be heartbroken. What I am trying to figure out now is what do I do with the inside of the basin? It's been scratched and rusted from the use of the purple power. It also ate some of the paint. Is there a coating/paint that is affordable that I can apply to the inside of the basin that will hold up to some mild abuse from the parts I band around inside it but most importantly the PSC-1000 I'll be using as a cleaner.

View attachment 461031
I'm not sure it qualifies as affordable, but POR15 is bullet proof.

Finally got around to finishing mine. So the pump is suspended an inch above the bottom so it is not sitting in crud. Routed the tubing up threw the bottom and connected it with a barb fitting to the brush. Filled it with 10 gallons of the PSC1000.
pw1.jpg
pw2.jpg
pw3.jpg
pw4.jpg

Back