Made the parts washer jump

I used Oil Eater in mine, of course crud settles in the bottom and eventually rusted the bottom out.

I use Ozzy Juice by CRC. It’s stupid expensive but works great. I find the heated solutions work much better and quicker than cold, but cold works fine. My unit is heated with the heating element on its own switch.

Please, before you do anything!! Install a filter or you will sacrifice your pump to the workshop gods…

Do not ask me how I know…

For my setup, the pump I am using is cheap enough I fully expect it to fail. It drops in the tank. Eventually, once this one fails, I'll replace it with a more robust pump that's external with a pickup tube in the tank and that will be good enough I can put a filter on the suction side. Something like a diesel fuel filter.

As to what I use... I got 4 of these at the local tractor supply... this was, I want to say, around 2005... I poured 3 into the parts washer and kept the 4th one in case I needed to top off... PSC 1000

PSC1000.jpeg

Well, I always keep the lid close after use, and I have not had to add a single drop since... Pump died not too long after I started using it. Again, since there was no real filter protecting the pump...

I will be using a pump from a decommissioned aquarium to replace the dead pump in the parts cleaner... when I do so, I will be installing an external filter and doing things correctly to protect the pump...

First I have to empty everything and place it in buckets... I got it get it ready to transport to the new house. And of course I threw away all the empty cans way back when... 5 gal buckets from Lowes (with lids) should do the job... I hope...

Parts Washer.jpeg

PSC 1000 is what I will be using once I get all of the mods finished. High flash point. I can heat it up with the immersion heater. Low odor. My garage is attached to the house. Works good and isn't too terribly expensive.

+1 for PSC 1000. Pump still intact, but I try to get most of the crud off before it goes in the tank. Still need to rig a filter. The harbor freight large furniture dollies are almost perfect size to sit the washer on. Plywood base also becomes the shelf for the solvent cans.

I’ve had good luck with PSC1000 as well. If I recall, the original pump in mine quit at about 3-4 months. I replaced it with one from Little Giant that has worked great since (7ish years).

I’ve also added an external reservoir and welded some bracing on the bottom of the shelf to give it some thickness. I didn’t have any luck with adding a filter - it decreased pressure too much. I probably need to revisit that since a lot of people seem to have good results. One other mod that I plan to do is add a ball valve at the base of the discharge tube to decrease the flow a bit when I want.

Back