Metal Lathe ??????

russ498

Registered
Registered
I am getting ready to order n 8X16 metal lathe. Budget dictates that it be an Asian machine. None of the ads indicate what sized cutter bits to buy. I see 1/4", 3/8" and 5/16", as well as 8mm and 10mm. Is there a way to adjust the height of the cutter so that it meets the centerline. It looks like they index on the bottom of the bit, so they would each meet the work at a different height.

Second, I am looking at Amazon as the primary source for all of the add ons and accessories. Is there another source. I prefer to give my business to small shops, even if it costs a little more, within reason.
mdd
Last, how about suggestions on machines. I can't spend more than $1500. I know most of them are made in the same Chinese factory, but I'm told that retailers make substantial changes both good and bad. They all look similar, but.....

Welcome, Little Machine shop has the high torque 7 x 16, I'm not sure how it stacks up, the small lathe guys will be along.

Welcome to the wonderful world of shims :) or if you can spend another 100$ or so, a quick change tool post (QCTP)
Little Machine Shop is a good place to find hobby lathe stuff and their return policy is good.
1/4" HSS tool bits are pretty much the standard size for home shops
Consider investing in a small bench grinder and roll your own cutting tools- it's the only way to fly
-Mark
I would recommend not buying a lathe thru Amazon- LMS has better support
Stay away from Bolton also

Last edited:
I have a bench grinder and a Tormek I use for woodturning tools.

Smaller HSS bits like 1/4 are commonly used in a tool holder like this or some other variation:

Universalquarter1__31745.1542772294.jpg

Then you pack it up with strips of sheetmetal to get the cutting point on centre. 3/8-5/16" HSS is often used directly in the toolpost. So you just need to make sure your tools aren't too high. Maybe 10-12mm shank for an 8" lathe. It's best to figure out the biggest tool holder that will fit in your toolpost without the bit being too high & use that.

A quick change toolpost (QCTP) has adjustment built in, set & forget for each tool holder. Very handy but if you're on a budget that may be a purchase for later.

Cheers
Clint

Lantern/rocker style toolpost holders with the crescent shape bottom (like below) will give you a little adjustability by simply tipping the tool up or down before tightening the top screw, although you will sacrifice some tool approach geometry by doing so. Shimming is the slower but technically correct method if you have a flat-bottom version or a turret style holder.

1658778808680.png

Most quick change toolposts will offer vertical adjustability with a thumbscrew on a threaded rod:
1658778501212.png

I'm with Mark on this one. Use 1/4" size starting out and purchase more after you've gotten a better idea of your needs, it will machine 90% of what a hobby machinist gets into. I know Amazon will be cheaper for the initial purchase, but LMS will be a tremendous resource for help and for the myriad of other tools/machines/supplies you'll need down the road.

JMHO,

-Jake

Hello and welcome.

I've owned a few lathes and nothing that cost over $1500, most expensive was a little over half that.

I'm not sure what's driving your purchase decision but if you have enough space you can often find used lathes with far more capability within the budget you've set out. Also, buying used sometimes comes with tooling that, as you have probably figured out, can cost as much or more than the machine itself.

Since you're in Maryland I highly recommend you reach out to Dave @mmcmdl he may not have what you're looking for but many members here have been happy dealing with him and he may be able to help you find/evaluate a used machine.

If you have your heart set on a new lathe I'd suggest budgeting a little more unless you already know that you'll only be working on small stuff mostly in soft materials.

Look around on here and read some of the many "what lathe should I get" threads. One informative one is from member @DavidR8

He started with a small import machine and quickly learned the shortcomings of same.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of folks do good work with these machines but getting the best from them requires much more than taking it out of the box and plugging it in.

Cheers,

John

Since you're in Maryland I highly recommend you reach out to Dave @mmcmdl he may not have what you're looking for but many members here have been happy dealing with him and he may be able to help you find/evaluate a used machine.
FWIW , I invited a new member on here a few years ago who has equipment and who is down in Pasadena . His member name is/was pasadena redneck ( I can not find him in our current member list though ) . There was a very large shop that had equipment out the butt that we went thru together , and I posted many pics of the equipment on here . He has a waterfront home and a big ash boat also ! :grin: Former Unilever co-worker .

I'll reach out to him to what's up . Last time he was here he bought an arbor press , surface plate and a few other things when he was starting up .
Any ways , welcome aboard . I'll see what I can do as far as checking around . :)

I am getting ready to order n 8X16 metal lathe. Budget dictates that it be an Asian machine. None of the ads indicate what sized cutter bits to buy. I see 1/4", 3/8" and 5/16", as well as 8mm and 10mm. Is there a way to adjust the height of the cutter so that it meets the centerline. It looks like they index on the bottom of the bit, so they would each meet the work at a different height.

Second, I am looking at Amazon as the primary source for all of the add ons and accessories. Is there another source. I prefer to give my business to small shops, even if it costs a little more, within reason.
mdd
Last, how about suggestions on machines. I can't spend more than $1500. I know most of them are made in the same Chinese factory, but I'm told that retailers make substantial changes both good and bad. They all look similar, but.....

Happened to see this yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/447590547229814/

It turns out that it belongs to an acquaintance who has it pending your interest: please let me know so I can get back to him (or message him directly on FB referencing this forum.

I know it’s smaller than you want, but would be a good starter.

Charlie

Back