Might be moving Will need a shop

My compressor is a small pancake model that makes so much noise I can't stand to listen to it. I only turn it on when I need to use it

The two biggest mess makers in my current garage/shop are the radial arm saw and the chop saw. They throw saw dust everywhere. And they need the most room to handle long boards. Trying to fit them in a 10x30 shop was not working out. So I divided the shop into 3 sections. Two 10x12 sheds with a 6' breezeway between them. Several benefits to this layout. I don't need permits for the 10x12 sheds and the radial arm saw and chop saw will go in the breezeway between the two sheds. All the saw dust and associated mess will be outside. Except for the lathe everything I have is on wheels. Even the mill/drill and work bench are on wheels. One shed will be devoted to metal working and the other for everything else.

There will be solar panels over both sheds and the breezeway between the sheds.

This is the latest design for the shop.

shed 02.jpg
Automotive stuff will be in the one car garage that is attached to the house.

This a smaller scale and longwise arrangement I’ve contemplated. Except I was thinking two 20’ containers parallel to each other with like 15’ between them with an awning over the whole thing.

I there a constraint on the space between the sheds? I would think 6’ wide for the breezeway be way too narrow to work. From living in an RV for several years has made hate the feeling of living and working in a hallway.

This will be around 10' from the back end of the lot which is only 39' wide. Need to have 5' on each side of the sheds.

You mention the expense of containers being more than sheds, and the price of them has gone up. But how much do you plan for the 12x10’s being? Cement floor? Build yourself or kits?

I am sorta in my new place. Moving last week in the rain was not fun. Most of my stuff went in a POD that will get delivered when I am ready for it. Only kept out what wouldn't fit in the POD and what I needed to get the new place in shape. Even with that it took 5 trips to the old house to move. Long days. Drive 3 1/2 hours. Load up until my truck and trailer were full and drive 3/12 hours back to the new place. Unload.

On top of the move my computer crashed. Could not start the reset process until Friday after I got internet installed. Lucky that I store all of my personal files on a memory stick. Lost everything on the hard drive. That is probably a good thing because it got rid of hundreds of bookmarks that I never use and cleaned up unneeded junk on the hard drive.

The first shed if you can call it that is an extension to the garage. There is an existing wood deck that extends 10' back from the garage. It is well made and solid. I will add walls and a roof. This will mostly be used for storage. The radial arm saw along with the bench grinder and belt sander will go into the extension. To keep the dirty stuff as I call it away from the lathe and mill/drill. There are well made work benches that line one wall of the garage. The lathe will go on one of the work benches. My lathe stand without the risers for the legs fits under the work bench.

It will come together. Have to get the house redone first before much work can get done in the garage/shop.

I am sorta in my new place. Moving last week in the rain was not fun. Most of my stuff went in a POD that will get delivered when I am ready for it. Only kept out what wouldn't fit in the POD and what I needed to get the new place in shape. Even with that it took 5 trips to the old house to move. Long days. Drive 3 1/2 hours. Load up until my truck and trailer were full and drive 3/12 hours back to the new place. Unload.

On top of the move my computer crashed. Could not start the reset process until Friday after I got internet installed. Lucky that I store all of my personal files on a memory stick. Lost everything on the hard drive. That is probably a good thing because it got rid of hundreds of bookmarks that I never use and cleaned up unneeded junk on the hard drive.

The first shed if you can call it that is an extension to the garage. There is an existing wood deck that extends 10' back from the garage. It is well made and solid. I will add walls and a roof. This will mostly be used for storage. The radial arm saw along with the bench grinder and belt sander will go into the extension. To keep the dirty stuff as I call it away from the lathe and mill/drill. There are well made work benches that line one wall of the garage. The lathe will go on one of the work benches. My lathe stand without the risers for the legs fits under the work bench.

It will come together. Have to get the house redone first before much work can get done in the garage/shop.
Those pods, do they have tie down rings in the bottom? If I needed to move could I put all my equipment in a pod and have it secured for transporting?

I got a 8' x 16' POD. There are also 8'x12' and 7'x8' PODS. There are tie downs at the front and the back and then every 4' along the walls. One about 1' up from the floor. One in the middle of the wall. And one about 1' down from the top. So lots of places to tie things down. Pods do have a weight limit. Around 4500 lbs as I recall. If you are doing a local move I believe that the POD can be picked up and delivered to your new place the same day. If non local then the POD has to go to a storage yard. Then trucked to a storage yard close to the new place. And finally brought out to your new place. This process takes a minimum of 5 days depending on the distance.

Whether you could move all of your equipment in one POD would depend on the weight. You could definitely secure your equipment. In fact POD's want you to create walls every 4' or so to keep stuff from shifting during transport. Most people use mattresses, couches and tables stood on end to create the wall. Then you use ratchet straps to suck the wall up against your stuff. That's what I did. Sheets of plywood would work too to create the walls.

Spend some time tracking all of the electrical circuits in the new place. Discovered that there is a 50 amp 240 volt circuit in the garage. The prior owner was an artist who did some metal work. He must of had a welder. No plug on the circuit. Just wires coming out of a junction box on the wall.

Redoing the house will keep me busy for awhile. I will squeeze in some time when I can to start getting the garage/shop in shape.

There is a semi enclosed covered patio off of the back of the house. Not really useable as a patio. I think that its main purpose was to shade the bedroom windows from hot afternoon summer sun. I am thinking of using one end for garden tool storage and the rest for all of the woodworking stuff and storage. Will cross that bridge once the house gets done and I start getting the garage in shape.

Back