Mill Recommendations

I like the Flash Cut system, first time I have seen it. Looks like a simple install and I especially like the Z axis drive system. This gives you full manual capability simply by turning the servos off, much more convenient than a ball screw system on the Z.

The only thing I can see that they didn't do was to bias the quill upward. The quill rack & pinion always has some play so the quill will float. Not a good thing for accuracy.

Here is how I solved that problem. I installed an air spring counterbalance to bias the quill up, takes out all of the play. My Z will consistently hold 0.0001 On mine, you have to flip the lever on the side of the Z drive to disengage. I have a 15:1 gear reduction on it, so it's a bit stiff without disengaging.

counterbal2.jpg

counterbal3.jpg

Do you have any recommendations for lower cost used mill brands? I see many brands when I look online but I dont know which ones are good and which ones to stay away from.
If you are new to this business and machining in general, a Bridgeport EZ Trak mill has the most useful and easiest to use conversational control that you will ever find.

These machines were made to bridge the gap between manual and CNC, they may be run manually as well . Well made and the control has been used for 20+ years and is fairly bulletproof.

Wreck" data-source="post: 336740" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
If you are new to this business and machining in general, a Bridgeport EZ Trak mill has the most useful and easiest to use conversational control that you will ever find.

These machines were made to bridge the gap between manual and CNC, they may be run manually as well . Well made and the control has been used for 20+ years and is fairly bulletproof.

Love, mine!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wear on the ways is one issue, table flatness is another. On older machines the table is often sagging at the ends from being peened by vices and other items being dropped or clamped. The solution is not as easy as just grinding flat with a surface grinder either.

A mill is not really a high precision machine (compared to a jig borer or grinder) so if if you can live with some wear and old machine "quirks" then the used market is your oyster.

Paul.

I really appreciate all of the information you have all given. Do any of you have any recommendations of the best way to buy a new machine? Ive heard some good things about auctions and also some bad things about auctions. Any good used machine tool websites?

I really appreciate all of the information you have all given. Do any of you have any recommendations of the best way to buy a new machine? Ive heard some good things about auctions and also some bad things about auctions. Any good used machine tool websites?
Craigslist and eBay are probably the best used machine tool websites, at least for hobby machines. I have been to a few machine auctions and found them to be dominated by experienced machine dealers, also you only have a couple of hours to inspect all the machines that are usually not under power. If you really know what you are doing you can score a good deal but can be tough for a rookie.

Back