Miniature Drill Chuck

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone recommend a miniature drill chuck for a range of No 60 bits to about 1/4"? Something that can be chucked in larger chuck or collet and not too $$$ would be ideal.

I just found one of these in a pile of stuff I bought JACOBS 610-61 IMPACT KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK & ADAPTER 0-1/4 in. Keyless. Found one on ebay
JACOBS 610-61 Impact Keyless Chuck with a capacity of (0-1/4") Great for aircraft drills without reverse. Just hold chuck and hit trigger once and let go of chuck. Pull out drill bit. Insert new, hold chuck lightly and hit trigger once. That is it! An internal impact mechanism holds and releases the bit. Chuck fits on any drill with 3/8" X 24 spindle with its included adapter.

I have one that fits an 8mm watchmaker collet, which can also be chucked up (I.e. the straight part is straight). Its range is .4 to 4mm, but they also come in .6 to 6mm. It’s a Jacobs-style scroll chuck.

Here’s an example of the breed:

0B42876C-303D-4AED-B7D0-FFE8CD206EEE.png

Cheap Chinesium, of course, but under fifty bucks. Name-brand versions by Boley or Levin will be much more expensive.

Rick “variable precision, of course” Denney

Can anyone recommend a miniature drill chuck for a range of No 60 bits to about 1/4"? Something that can be chucked in larger chuck or collet and not too $$$ would be ideal.
My we ask what your application is/will be? Holding a chuck in another, larger, chuck can (will) result in broken bits at the small end of the range. You would be better off with an arbor directly mounted in the drill press/mill/lathe tailstock to achieve the smallest runout, or better yet a chuck with a "sensitive" adapter to give you better feel.

Charlie

I have this Vertex keyless chuck for this type of work - outstanding quality and with the pound at all time low, hard to beat price wise (I buy from this place in the UK all the time):

Combine that with a JT1 to 1/2" drill chuck adapter like this:

My we ask what your application is/will be? Holding a chuck in another, larger, chuck can (will) result in broken bits at the small end of the range. You would be better off with an arbor directly mounted in the drill press/mill/lathe tailstock to achieve the smallest runout, or better yet a chuck with a "sensitive" adapter to give you better feel.

Charlie
The drill chuck will be used to drill small holes for a clock project I'm working on.

Can you recommend such a product as you described?

So would I buy a 1/2 straight shank - R8 adapter for my Albrecht chuck?

I purchased that exact product not long ago. In my searching it was absolutely the least expensive sensitive drill attachment + chuck that I could find. The chuck was a bit 'gritty' at first, but cleaned up pretty well. It'll never be an Albrecht, but the whole thing is pretty well made for the price and does the job.

I have used mine only in the mill, with a 1/2" collet, but I wouldn't hesitate to clamp it in my drill press chuck. I have a small-ish Rohm chuck that I routinely stick in the drill press chuck with no ill consequences.

GsT

Back