Miniature Drill Chuck

I purchased that exact product not long ago. In my searching it was absolutely the least expensive sensitive drill attachment + chuck that I could find. The chuck was a bit 'gritty' at first, but cleaned up pretty well. It'll never be an Albrecht, but the whole thing is pretty well made for the price and does the job.

I have used mine only in the mill, with a 1/2" collet, but I wouldn't hesitate to clamp it in my drill press chuck. I have a small-ish Rohm chuck that I routinely stick in the drill press chuck with no ill consequences.

GsT

I ordered this one and I'll see how it works out. If it doesn't, I'll return it and get a better one.

I have this Vertex keyless chuck for this type of work - outstanding quality and with the pound at all time low, hard to beat price wise (I buy from this place in the UK all the time):

Combine that with a JT1 to 1/2" drill chuck adapter like this:

I was given this keyless tiny chuck that I put in my larger chuck to work https://www.ebay.com/itm/175348476048 https://www.ebay.com/itm/175348476048

I have a number of chucks which can seat drills of .007" diameter. Most are keyless but the Jacobs 1B also will. When using #92 drills or 0000 center drills, runout became an issue. My answer was to make my version of a Tru Set adapter. O made two, one with an MT1 shank and another with a 3/8" straight shank. They are made from brass and have four adjustment screws and four locking screws.. It is possible to adjust runout to a few tenths. Pictured are a Phase II and a Jacobs 1B.
Drill Chucks .JPG

I have a number of chucks which can seat drills of .007" diameter. Most are keyless but the Jacobs 1B also will. When using #92 drills or 0000 center drills, runout became an issue. My answer was to make my version of a Tru Set adapter. O made two, one with an MT1 shank and another with a 3/8" straight shank. They are made from brass and have four adjustment screws and four locking screws.. It is possible to adjust runout to a few tenths.
That's a great idea! I have a Sherline MT0 adjustable holder with a 0 – 5/32" chuck mounted on it that I got as part of a lot at this year's Cabin Fever that has been sitting in a box: I'm going to add a ring so I can control the adjustment. From Sherline's website:

Sherline 1016 Adj Drill Chuck.png
I already have an MT0 – MT2 sleeve. Or, I can make a new back with the adjustment screws & a 0.375"Ø shank to use in my Joe Pie (ish) tailstock adapter.

Thanks, RJ!

Last edited:
After reading all sorts of negative commentary on the newer Jacobs chucks, I invested in a Taiwan Golden Goose 3/4" ball bearing chuck. Seems like a great piece of tooling to me. They also make smaller chucks, and I believe Vertex chucks are rebranded Golden Goose products.

I received my mini drill chuck from Amazon. It seems to be of decent quality, but I haven't used it yet. I have a (dumb?) question on assembly. Do I remove the little screw at the end of the arbor to mount the chuck? Or, do I just press on the chuck as is? The screw seems to be somehow related to the spring inside the shaft (I think).

IMG_6257.jpg

I received my mini drill chuck from Amazon. It seems to be of decent quality, but I haven't used it yet. I have a (dumb?) question on assembly. Do I remove the little screw at the end of the arbor to mount the chuck? Or, do I just press on the chuck as is? The screw seems to be somehow related to the spring inside the shaft (I think).

View attachment 428669
Don’t attempt to change the arbor: different designs are assembled differently and unless you plan on buying a second one you’ll be asking for headaches.

Do I remove the little screw at the end of the arbor to mount the chuck?

I cannot say for sure for yours, but typically yes.
Normally that screw is used to pull the taper together and is LEFT HANDED!

Brian

Edit: make sure both halves are spotlessly clean before installing.

The screw turns in both directions, but does not come out. I think it's connected to a spring inside the shaft.

I cannot say for sure for yours, but typically yes.
Normally that screw is used to pull the taper together and is LEFT HANDED!

Brian

Edit: make sure both halves are spotlessly clean before installing.
Just checked: my Jacobs #0 chuck does have a through hole, but it's the same size as the end of the JT0 taper so the screw on the end of the taper would pass right through the hole.

Back