Miniature Drill Chuck

So, just lightly press the chuck on?

Yes. Just clean the male and female tapers and press them together. I put mine in the spindle, put a piece of 2x4 below, retracted the chuck jaws so only the nose of the chuck bears on the wood and pressed the two together with the quill. No need to apply great pressure, just an easy pull on the quill handle and you're ready to try it out.

GsT

Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces (I use 90% Isopropyl Alcohol), firmly insert the taper into the chuck body, open the chuck so that the jaws are just below the face of the chuck, and with the face of the chuck held down on a piece of pine give the back of the arbor a gentle whack with a small rawhide mallet (small dead blow is also OK). Here's Tom Lipton mounting a substantially larger chuck on an arbor (you don't need to heat your chuck before inserting the taper – it will be fine just assembling everything at room temperature).

OPTIONAL: For drill chucks and other items that are going to be on a tapered arbor for a long time, I usually rub the taper with soapstone (used by Weldors to mark metal, but make sure to use the real McCoy, not the crayon stuff they sell) – this does not interfere with the locational properties of the taper, but makes it easier to remove ten years from now.

Soapstone.jpeg
Soapstone (Amazon ASIN B09H6P11FZ) – enough to share with you friends!

Last edited:
After some use with this drill chuck, I'm realizing it's has some wobble/runout that is not helping me with precision drilling for my clock project.

So, I decided to "cry once" and buy an Albrecht C65-J1 chuck. I drilled a few holes with it and "wow" what a difference! Feels very precision and smooth, but I guess it should be a more than 6X the price! I do lose the finger feed capability, but I'll take losing that for the precision.

IMG_6454.jpg

After some use with this drill chuck, I'm realizing it's has some wobble/runout that is not helping me with precision drilling for my clock project.

So, I decided to "cry once" and buy an Albrecht C65-J1 chuck. I drilled a few holes with it and "wow" what a difference! Feels very precision and smooth, but I guess it should be a more than 6X the price! I do lose the finger feed capability, but I'll take losing that for the precision.

View attachment 446947
You can reach out to McMaster and ask what the runout is on this arbor and get the sensitive feel back. The same/similar item is available from other suppliers.

EDIT: Fixed link

Last edited:
Back