Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I know, old thread.
David
What do you do with the disc?
I bought the Kalamazoo but no disc.
Just curious.
Jeff

Honestly I don’t use it and would prefer to have a wheel on that end.
That said I might see if I can adapt a diamond cup wheel so that I can hone carbide

Just last weekend I bought a 6” grinder from a wood turner so it already has high quality wheels because he used it to sharpen HSS wood lathe tools.
One wheel might get swapped for a wire wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
I just checked and those are on sale now at Grainger thru 9/28/20

Let us know what you think. That looks like a pretty good machine. I saw a write up/video of the Grizzly industrial 8" grinder (I know, a totally different beast), but was pretty impressed, especially with the guards.
I expect that the machine will be adequate for my purposes after modifications. My purposes are grinding lathe tools and general light-duty grinding of metal and plastic using the belt sander, and removing rust, dirt and paint from tools and other metal objects using the wire wheel. I think that I will be OK with the machine only having a 1/3-HP motor. If not, then I will have experience for selecting a more powerful machine. Note: I am trying to minimize the number of machines that I have.

I assembled the machine, including replacing the stone wheel with the included wire wheel. The weaknesses are the grinder tool rest, and the belt-sander work table. The grinder tool rest is small and flexes (cantilever). It's a single stamped steel piece with one bend. The angle is not adjustable, but I don't need to adjust the angle for using a wire wheel. I might reinforce and enlarge the tool rest.

The work table does not appear to be meant to be set at an angle. The instructions say to use a square to set it it 90 degrees to the belt. Tightening the nuts and bolts securely tends to change the angle. I plan to replace the work table, following Mikey's design in Modifying a Craftsman 2 X 42-inch Belt Sander for Tool Grinding.

Once you have a good platen and tool rest on that thing, you will be surprised how fast it can grind a tool bit. Don't forget that it needs ceramic belts to work well. I've found Red Label belts to work quite well on these machines. Here is an assortment pack to try your hand at it. You can then determine which grits work best for shaping and finishing your tools.

In a recent thread by @Darkbluesky, http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...tools-ideas-of-what-to-buy.62043/#post-511618, @ttabbal joked about sending me blanks to be ground into lathe tools ... he was joking! But it got me to thinking ... yeah, I know it's not a good thing when Mikey gets to thinking ... but it got me thinking that reading about how a tool is ground and having a decent tool in your hands that you can see and touch are two different things.

So, what if I ground a set of tools from 3/8" mild steel keystock (just to discourage some bozo from actually trying to cut something with the models) so people could hold it in their hands to look at. You could use them to plop onto your tool rest to see what the rest angles should be and maybe how your hands have to align to grind the tool. You could also buy some keystock and duplicate them for a permanent reference, and then pass them on to the next guy who wants to have a look.

I'm thinking of making THREE sets of these model tools and mailing them out to guys who are interested. We would need to figure out a list if there are more than three guys interested in seeing them, and YOU GUYS need to sort out how to keep track of these things. I would guess one to two weeks of holding time per person would be reasonable and the guy who has them would pay to flat rate ship it to the next guy on the list. Naturally, the only guys who can get on the list would be members of the HM forum.

As to which tools to include in the set, I'll leave that to you guys. We can discuss it here and see if we can come to some consensus. I will probably write a set of notes with details on how each tool is ground and why the angles are what they are and how you can modify them to better suit your needs; these notes would be posted to this thread.

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone but on the off chance that it is, let's talk about this and see if we can make it real. I'll spring for the keystock, grind the models and send them out. After that, you guys need to sort out how to get them distributed. The last guy on the list can hang onto them until some other HM member contacts them or you can send it back to me so I can do the same.

Let me be very clear about one more thing. The models will be of tools as I grind them for use in my shop on my lathe(s). It is one way, not necessarily the right way or the only way. My hope is that it will help you to find your own way of grinding tools that work for you.

Thoughts?

Mikey
Mikey, I would buy some key stock and ship it to you for the opportunity to have a set I can see. I would be happy to pass them along to the next person too.

Mikey, I would buy some key stock and ship it to you for the opportunity to have a set I can see. I would be happy to pass them along to the next person too.

No need for that. Jeff/@Z2V still has some models in circulation and can get them to you. I'm sure he'll be along soon, or you can PM him.

Welcome to HM!

Wouldn't mind seeing that too, Jeff. Can I be added to the circulation list? Do you need me to send you a box?

Regards,
Terry

Yeah, Terry. PM me your address and I’ll get a set to you.

Reactions: tjb
Back