Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Terry, you might not get the box back, they'll probably be in a padded envelope, and he'll keep the box. :grin:

Ahh...I have plenty of USPS small flat rate boxes. Our PO is fully stocked :applause:

Reactions: tjb
Amazing how this thread has kept going. A big Thank You to all who have kept this going. This has been an epic learning experience for me just reading along and seeing the success of others. I know this was the ah ha moment for me. I have had pretty good grinds and some not so good but the foundation teaching was spot on and I will try different variations and not feel baffled when it doesn't work right because i can look back here for reference. Hopefully my home improvement spree will be over soon and I can enjoy some shop time to relax and perfect my grinding skills. I have added a Rhodes shaper to my shop and am hoping to grind tools for it too. That may be a challenge in it self but I can get a lathe tool to make decent cuts so why not the shaper ones! Confidence was one of the things Mikey taught us too.

Yeah, over 99K views and still alive! You've been with us from the start, Todd, and I agree - we have all learned from, and about, each other in this one. In the very beginning, I said, " My hope is that it will help you to find your own way of grinding tools that work for you." You and so many others like you are doing exactly that and I couldn't have asked for a better result.

I join Todd in thanking all of you for making this thread so successful.

Almost forgot to add that @Ulma Doctor and I collaborated on some shaper tools. You might want to ask him about what works for him. He has a lot of experience with small shapers.

Terry, you might not get the box back, they'll probably be in a padded envelope, and he'll keep the box. :grin:
Oh, I fully anticipate that! (Note that I in no way expressed or implied the box would be from part of the prized collection.)

Ahh...I have plenty of USPS small flat rate boxes. Our PO is fully stocked :applause:
It may be very suspicious if we hear of a news flash of a vandalism of the PO in Cedar Park, TX in which a large stash of flat rate boxes are missing. Hmm. (I must admit, however, those are really nice boxes!)

Regards

I fired up the belt sander yesterday and ground one of the 1/2 HSS blanks that came in a huge grab bag of tooling last month.
Thought I would try it out on a brass drift I've had in my tool box for years and it was getting rather beat up on the ends.
Left a decent finish I think although I was not impressed with the finish it left on mild CRS. Left a tiny grooved surface same as the insert tool I had used earlier.

DSCN8066.JPGI

I DSCN8067.JPGA bit off topic here .....
but I think I am having some stability issues with the SB relating to backlash on the compound and cross slide screws.
Perhaps I should look into replacing them??
I see there is a seller on e-bay that has the set for around $250 IIRC.

Hard to tell from the pics but your side relief angles look a bit shallow to me. Here is what I see:
  • Side relief looks to be maybe 5 degrees, possibly less. In the second picture the side walls look almost vertical. Could be the camera angle. If this is so, increasing the side relief angles will allow the tool to cut better.
  • There is very little relief under the nose so the tool is rubbing. I suspect this is why your finish is not as good as it should be.
  • The tool is not sharp. If you look carefully at the interface between the sides and top you can see light reflecting off that edge. That tells you that the intersection of those surfaces is not sharp and the tool will not cut nearly as well.
A round nose tool like this is capable of mirror finishes in brass, even with roughing cuts. The issue, at least from these pics, is primarily due to inadequate relief and perhaps suboptimal honing. All easily fixed. It may be that the backlash in your cross slide may play a role but I suspect that is not the issue.

Front relief was as produced on a new blank, 15*
set the table to 15*, marked the top 3/4" from the tip, scribed lines to the tip where they were 3/32" apart
and ground both sides to the top lines on the belt sander.

Will have to play with the tip some I guess.
The very bottom razor edge of the nose broke off before I got both sides ground.
Should the nose slope like that to a razor point on the bottom?

Back