Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Another question is could you get away with using a cut off wheel in a dremel tool to cut these angles out instead of grinding.

I just went back and found the 3 pdf’s it looks like my cheat sheet is the same in the pdf so thats good. Now i saw an example of a roughing and a finishing tool. I noticed the roughing tool has a bigger radius. Should i go to like a 1/16 radius for a roughing tool?

I also should throw in the reason i ask about using a dremel tool is bc i am working with 3/16 tool bits right now and at most 1/4 in a month or so.

I am marking out my aluminum cutter for the cuts and i am working on the back rake. 35 degree seems very big for a back and side rake. Is that a little much?

I am marking out my aluminum cutter for the cuts and i am working on the back rake. 35 degree seems very big for a back and side rake. Is that a little much?

I think it's just the back rake on the top of the tool that is that high. It looks like a lot, but it does work well.

That looks like the end relief.
You want the back relief at 35°.

Maybe i am backed at the wrong side but the protractor base is sitting on top of the tool. When i cut the back rake i would be looking at the side of the tool to cut it which is why the tool is on its side. So am i on the wrong angle?

The way I grind back rake is to put a line on the grinding rest. It is measured against the platen of the grinder, away from me and to the right of the belt. Align the tool with the angle on the table, press into the belt.

If the tool side is facing the camera, I think you are going the right way. If it is your first tool, the high angle is probably not the best choice. Start with a lighter angle like 15 degrees. It will still cut well on aluminum.

Reactions: Z2V
If you are looking at the picture the top of the tool is facing left of the camera so the view we are looking at is the right side of the tool. I want to do it right so i am not afraid to cut the 35 degrees i just want to make sure i am measuring it right.

Back