Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

When talking about the negative rake are you talking about the back?
Imagine a capital T on its side so the top of it is now vertical and the leg is now pointing to the right in mid air.
The vertical is your work rotating clockwise as you view it.
The horizontal line is the top of your tool.
If you tilt that leg down to say half past 3 your tool is said to have positive rake.
At 3 o clock it it neutral.
At half past 2 it is negative.
Looking at the same tool head on, that same edge will slope away to the left to give you another rake, also positive. This is called its side rake. There are other rakes and reliefs to take into account when grinding tools up. Its now upto you to discover them.

Actually, looking at your pictures again, the first and fourth have it mounted in the correct orientation.
The others, its on its side.

This is the correct orientation.

Right hand cutting tool (cuts from the right). Negative rake slopes down from the shank to the tip (tool nose).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-14 192026.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-14 192026.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
So from what i am hearing that tool is best for brass and copper. I am going to be grind a few tools for basic turning on this lathe for steel aluminum and brass. Maybe for cast iron as well. Now which type of tool is best to make. A knife or the basic right hand turning tool like the one i showed. It is a small lathe so i wont be taking big cuts. So what type of radius is a typical size a 1/16th?

Brento, that is an interesting looking tool. The shape of the tool is up to the user but the rake and relief angles DO matter. Insofar as what material this tool was meant to work with, I have no clue. Tools for brass typically have zero to 5 degrees of positive side rake to reduce the tendency to dig in. Plastics work best with very positive rake tooling. This tool will generate very high cutting temperatures so it isn't for stainless or even mild to medium carbon steels. Cast iron responds best to higher side and back rake similar to stainless, not negative rake, in my experience. So, again, I have no idea what the maker of this tool was thinking or what material it would be optimized for.

Then there is the possibility that he did not understand lathe tool geometry.

If you wish to turn brass, I highly recommend you use zero side and back rake. Grind a general purpose shape with about 12-15 degrees of side and end relief but leave the top flat. Put a 1/32" nose radius on it and I guarantee you this tool will not dig in and will leave a mirror finish.

For steels, I would definitely include positive side and back rake. For general use, a RH general purpose tool with 15 degree relief and rake angles works well (like our square tool). This tool will work with mild and medium carbon steels, aluminum, brass and plastics. It isn't perfect for any of them but it will work well with all of them.

You are going to find that the smaller the lathe, the more important tool geometry becomes. Take some time to read through the explanations of the various features on the tools in this thread so that you understand what does what. If you really want your tools to work well, you must grind them to do what you want them to do. I've put enough in this thread to give you all the answers you need. If that is not enough then sing out and we'll clarify it further.

This is the correct orientation.

Right hand cutting tool (cuts from the right). Negative rake slopes down from the shank to the tip (tool nose).
What you're saying is correct, but you wouldn't find that tool in my arsenal.

Wasnt there a pinned post in here for all of the information explaining both the knife and general purpose right hand tool? Also i have this cheat sheet that i was wondering if it was safe to go by for making the tools. 876328D2-C4E4-4CE8-A9A7-D3CFA4DAFDBC.png

Back