Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

No expert but they look like right hand cutting tools. The 2nd picture looks to have a fair amount of nose radius. I would think it would be for general turning. The last picture looks to have a sharp nose. No radius. Probably used to turn to a shoulder. Maybe facing too. The biggest feature consistent to all of the tool bits is the back rake. Instead of angling down from the tip it angles up.

Mikey will chime in here with his expertise.

Too much negative rake, you'll melt your work, or discover how friction welding occurs.
You need to look into the effects a positive rake has on the tool first.

All those pictures are just one tool. Not sure what material it was ground for

Does it have to be a lathe tool, maybe a pin driver or a punch, form tool?

Negative rake is common for brass which tend to be grabby with positive rake cutters. Its why we have to dub the cutting lips on twist drills when drilling brass.

It is in a tool post on my watch makers lathe

That would make sense for some of the comments about brass, a common clock / watch material. I have some books on watchmaking, I'll see if there are any pictures of a similar tool.

Of course it could be a tool made by a deranged person. :)

He was a very good machinist that i bought the lathe from. He didnt do anything with watches if i remember correctly. He i believe made that tool post so i dont think its from another previous owner.

Back