Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

That’s a great deal on the tool bits. I’d like to get some but I don’t think I need 50 of them. If one of you guys is in the same boat and would like to split a 50 ct lot let me know.

I doubt I actually need 50 of them. I'd be willing to split my batch up when it gets here. I bet a fair number would fit in a small flat rate box.

Got some work done on the grinder in between snowblowing.

Did a preliminary mock up. Found a steel table in the attic of the barn that was used for a Delta cast iron jigsaw. It will reduce the floor foot print as it is narrower than the one I had planned on using. Motor will be mounted higher for a shorter belt and set up on a swing shelf using the weight of the motor to tighten the belt. Safety switch in front. Managed to rewire the motor to turn CW as required by the design. Will be using 4 step pulleys for variable speed.

The two springs on the tension arm are not yet fastened ........will need the belts to test the tension required.

I used whatever steel we had on hand..... tubing is thick wall (1/4 in.) trailer receiver (2 1/2) inserts are 2 in. thick wall as well. The whole assembly will be welded to a 3/16 plate and bolted through the wooden top and steel table top.... It ain't gonna move.

Most of the odds and ends should be sitting at the UPS store by the end of this week for pickup.

Working on a work platen/table that will be pivoting to adjust the grinding angle rather than rely entirely on the adjustment of the D plate.

Considering building an angle iron frame work with casters for mobility and to raise the working surface a few inches for my 6'2" frame.

Comments, questions, suggestions welcome.

Thanks everyone for the help, inspiration and parts.

Cheers

IMG_0712resized.jpg

IMG_0714cropresized.jpg

Lookin good Bob!

Maybe someone with a printer could print up some examples to be used for guides or patterns or what ever you'd want to call them. Just a thought from and oldster who only knows a little about printers.
Trust me I can't believe I'd ever say something like this about 3D printers .LOL

I think that would be an awesome idea. Possibly grind a standard LH, RH, threading tool, and ??? I for one would be very interested in actually being able to touch a tool that has the potential to work instead of guessing from pictures.
Add in a round nose tool

a shear tool , acme thread,
If you have a surface or T&C grinder, look for a Clark threading tool sharpening block, they make acme and 60 degree tools with perfect angles. I found on e bay.

Round nose tool.....

Years ago when wood turning I bought a home made scraper....the tip was a 5/16 HSS bit..... rounded tip that needed sharpening. The tool came with a 1/4 in pink 6 inch grinding wheel. To sharpen you held the tool against the tool rest that about 15 degree then lightly pushed the tip over the rounded edge of the wheel. The tool did not move just angled right than left........ gave a very sharp edge even curve both side. I think it would work for a HSS round nose but would need a top relief cut at 15 degrees as well as per Mickey's teaching.

Only problem is I can't find that famous 1/4 pink wheel in all my junk.... I know I have but where?????

Working on the wooden steel table top for the grinder......drilled all my wood and top steel plate for 3/8 BUT the existing holes in the steel top table are 5/16....crap!!! more work tomorrow.....Friday I get my D plate and belts......

Comments on the pink wheel please.

Bob C
PS..... and it is snowing like h*** but not as bad as Upper NY state.

Reactions: Z2V
Those pink wheels are premium, cool cutting and long lasting; dress and shape with a boron carbide dressing stick.

Back